Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift on a CUCV?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

What all would I have to hack to put one on a cucv? Those hooks go through the bumpers off the frame, and therers alot of rivets under there too...

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What does the bumper have to do with a body lift?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

usually when you do a body lift you raise the bumper to avoid the ugly gap that appears with a body lift. Military vehicles have the helicopter hooks sticking out the square holes in the bumper.

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

when you do a body lift, basically you are lifting the body off the frame, everything attached to the frame stays put, like bumpers, engine, tranny ect; the gas tank filler hose and all wires will be stretched by the amount of the lift, your shifter rod will need a piece welded in to make up for the size of the lift,

it is really not that hard and you may want to think about putting some poly body bushings under there while you are at it

5. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I put a 2" BL on my M1009 when I swapped in the 500 Caddy. It was real easy to do. The only thing I screwed up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif was forgetting to unhook the tailgate springs which were causing me to lift the whole truck when jacking on the body and I forgot to unhook the body-engine ground wire which I promptly ripped in two. I left the bumpers where the were. No ill effects so even when the 500 came out and the 6.2 went back in, I said screw it and left the BL on it enjoying more tire clearance. You'll be surprised how nasty your bolts and bushings are when you take them out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll be surprised how nasty your bolts and bushings are when you take them out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Oh, yeah! mine were rusted down to about the diameter of a 1/4bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    usually when you do a body lift you raise the bumper to avoid the ugly gap that appears with a body lift. Military vehicles have the helicopter hooks sticking out the square holes in the bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might do that if you only wanted your bumpers for appearance purposes only!