Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift on the burban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by or2play, Oct 18, 2002.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Got my body lift done on my suburban. Finally starting to make some noticable progress on my truck. Also replaced the orignal bushings that were shot with some energy suspension pieces. Wow, what a differance.

The body lift would have went smoothly, except the bolts in the bed were completly rusted into the bushing. Ya it was fun removing them. A lot of yelling cursing and a lot of cutting, pounding, and grinding.

But worth the effort. Any questions about doing a body lift or what to expect, by all means fire away.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

HAHAHA mine weren't rusted at all!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif c'mon everybody leave the rust behind and move to vegas!!

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A lot of yelling cursing and a lot of cutting, pounding, and grinding

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was doing a lot of this also when i did mine a few months back.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Me, Me...I've got a question.
    What products did you use...cost...how much lift...did you have to extend any of your linkage?
    Because I was thinking of doing the same thing as you (since my bushings need replacing badly) and I'd probably do a 1" (can I even find that?) body lift. Just to be sure I can fit 35" tires.
    Also, the bolts near the rear axle, that aren't really bolts, how did you manage those? Maybe Muddysub can clear this up because I think I've heard him talk about them before.
    Thanks in advance.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Me, I bought new energy poly bushings and my 2" body lift from 4hill 4wd (was roughly $160 for the both).

If your only going to go with a 1" body lift, then no, all your linkage will be fine, will be fine with a 2" also. You can get a 1" body lift from ORD.

The 4 bolts that you are talking about that aren't really bolts, the stock bushings are just sandwiched between the frame and body, when you put in your body lift, you will have to drill holes in the body only, holes alread exist in the frame(they are the 2 mounts in front of the rear axle and the 2 mounts behind the rear axle).

Any more questions, fire away.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.
    I guess I'm still not with you on the rear bushing thing. I have to drill a hole through the body? (like pull up the carpet and drill from the top down?) Then what do I do. Once I put the new ones in do I secure them in any way.
    Sorry, I'll catch on sooner or later.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think maybe he means to drill a whole through the cab supprt that is atatched to the body that meets the frame..or am i wrong?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A picture is worth a thousand words. So please post some pics (if you have any) for all of us who have never installed a body lift befor.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok there are 4 mounts on a suburban that don't have bolts in them, just a bushing sandwiched in there. you will have to lift up the carpet, find the right spot and drill a hole in the floor to put a bolt through. also you will have to get the bottom half of the bushing (rubber part and cup for the bottom) and run a set of bolts through them. i'll try to get pics tomorrow.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanx

11. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I used energy poly bushings, and a 2 inch kit from performace accessorys. One thing I had to do is get some new bolts for a few mounts. The poly bushings aren't as thick as the orignals.