Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Nov 21, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a 6" lift on my k5 and im planning on getting a 2" body, are there any good options to choose, any troubles putting them in? does it take long? im new to the k5 scene and im trying to learn some tricks.

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

opps...i was on my bros name when i posted that, im actually the one needing some help. sorry about that

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

4. Veefour

Veefour Registered Member

I'm new to all this as well, but I have heard that it isn't a good idea to do a body lift AND a suspension lift. One or the other. However, I didn't get any reasons behind it.
    If i read your post right, you already have a six inch suspention lift on the truck?

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have both....never had a problem. Expect some problems with rust when removing the bolts. I'd recommend replacing the body mounts when you do it.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ya, i have a 6" lift on my truck already, i just want more room for flexing on trails with 39" tires, and a lot of guys i know have both suspension and body lift, i never heard of any problem with it :confused:

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is alot of lift for 39s. You are going to have to do some fender trimming, unless you go with a 12" lift. Keep it low and trim the rest. My son runs 38s with 4" lift and trimming. I am about to be running 39.5 Rockers, that are actually 39" tall, with a 6" lift and trimming. My neighbor runs 6" lift and a 2" body lift for his 42" Irocs and lot of trimming because he has set his truck up to flex.

8. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmmm ya u got me thinking...i might just go with the ORD 1" body kit....2" does seem a little much, i dont want to look like those lifted road queens. thanks for the info... o ya..almost forgot, do i need to get anything else for the ORD lift besides what they give me?

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Body lifts can cause some bad things. I would just bust out the sawz-all. If you want to go up more, look at some Zero-Rates to get an extra inch. Tires give you more clearance, and you dont want to be tall and roll over easy. So less lift and bigger tire is the way to go.

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is nothing wrong with a body lift. mine has been on for over three years with no problems, they really help with working on the rigs too.

[​IMG]

11. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hey im just curious...whats ur lift, tires and body lift?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1 or 2" is fine... I personally wouldn't go any higher. Having an inch or two of spacer between the body and frame can be very handy sometimes... especially when trying to fit a clocked t-case under the factory sheetmetal.

j