Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift or chop it up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, May 4, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The truck is a 88 k5 with a 6 inch and 35x12.50's... i want to run 36x13.50 iroks for all the serious stuff and run my old 35x12.50s during the summer or when i'm not goin to be wheelin. My rig is a dd/ weekend warrior and spends about 50/50 on and offroad. I try to keep my sh$t in tact but still wheel it pretty hard. If i get the 36x13.50's without a lift or cuttin they will definetly rub because my 35's rub a little when i'm fully flexed and have the wheels turned.

I want to keep the body as it is but don't want a higher cg. How much will a 2" body lift raise the cg? If it is going to be noticable then i will cut the fenders.

What do you think?

when you guys cut the fenders did you follow the factory line? I want the wheel wells to look like they do now as far as general shape and figured that would be the best way to do it.

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

QUOTE Dirtwarrior;;I want to keep the body as it is but don't want a higher cg. How much will a 2" body lift raise the cg?

Well I'm not a Physics Major but I would guess a 2inch body lift will raise it just about 2inches :laugh: Sorry dude I couldn't resist..

3. mil22spec4

mil22spec4 Registered Member

SINCE YOU HAVE AN OLDER TRUCK YOUR BODY MOUNTS ARE PROBABLY SHOT. YOU COULD BUY A SET A NEW ONES AND RAISE YOUR TRUCK A 1/2 INCH. SO KEEP THAT IN MIND. A 2 INCH LIFT WILL ACTUALLY BE A LITTLE HIGHER. i WOULD GO WITH A BODY LIFT, BUT MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE BOLTS WITH NEW ONES, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY GET GRADE 8. DONT CHOP YOUR FENDERS IF ITS A DD. YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER.

4. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i would cut fenders.i have 6in with 38s.i think center is too high for me.i was spining cookies on soft dirt and got it on two wheels.take the top off will help.

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

here is a pic of a 6" lift with 38" TSL radials a little trimming :D

[​IMG]

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

LMAO... i meant how different does it "feel" when you get tipsy.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personally, I like a little of both... the ORD 1" of body lift works well for me... plus a little trimming. Nothing wrong with trimming the sheetmetal on a DD... if there is anything I "regret" about doing it to my K5 its that I didn't do it sooner.

also, just an FYI, a 2" of body lift will not raise your rigs COG by 2"... the real number will be less than 2" because the body is not the only contributing mass.

j

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

it will keep the cg lower than a susp lift, bc it only lifts the body, not the motor weight and such.

i say if you wheel regularly, 1" ORD body lift (with new mounts= ~1.5" as mentioned above), minor trimming. trim jobs done well look really good too

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

well if i do one its going to be that one on not the both. I really like the shape of the stock wheel wells and don't want to screw it up but it would be nice to have a lower cg and fit bigger meats. If i cut... its going to be on the factory lines so i will be getting rid of at least 2.5 inches of sheetmetal.

What all is involved in a body lift besides actually lifting the body with bigger mounts? longer brake lines, lincage, etc?

10. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

a lot of little things....

fan shroud trimmed, gas filler lengthening, transmission/tcase linkage lengthening, new bumper bracker fabrication, may need to relocate body grounds, maybe new mody mounts and bolts.

you dont need new break lines

i think theres more but thats all i can think of, if you can tack weld its no big deal, sounds like more than it is, definatly a lot les stress than dealing with high suspension lifts (driveline angles, break lines, steering correction ect.)