Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift or Not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Apr 20, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Right now, I have a 3" body lift. I have been debating wether to remove it or not when I start the Overhaul. What do ya'll think? The "overhaul" which will begin in a couple of weeks, will consist of:
    1. 1 ton axles /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    2. 454/TH400 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    3. Shock Towers in Front, ? in back.
    4. 38.5x14.50 TSL/SX on 15x10 Black Steelies.
    5. Misc. other stuff such as bumpers, etc, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

I think the body lift will benefit in room for the 454, and more room for shock towers, but what would ya'll do?
    PS-Rig will be used in rocks, mud, trails, whatever else, but no DD.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im not a big fan of large body lifts but if its already in, you are happy with it and everything is working properly I'd just leave it alone. Otherwise I'd go with a 1" or none. Just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

body lifts suck.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Body lift, I think not! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had some people tell me that they have seen the pucks used to lift a body punch a hole right through a body from hard four wheeling.

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    body lifts suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do body lifts suck?

Throw out statement like that and the least you could do would be to share your experance as to why /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh,and I have been running a 2" (and a 3" before that)body lift on my truck for 10+ years.Never have had any problems related with it.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

IMYO I think that 1" body lifts are okay, but bigger should only be when you cant use any more lift springs (I.E. 12" spring lift.) I can't say that really though because I have never used a body lift /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. kevin's87

kevin's87 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    body lifts suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do body lifts suck?

Throw out statement like that and the least you could do would be to share your experance as to why /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh,and I have been running a 2" (and a 3" before that)body lift on my truck for 10+ years.Never have had any problems related with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they suck because they look terrible. Personally I dont fell safe riding on a few 3" pieces of plastic. A 1 inch is OK I would consider using one of them but ahything more than that looks like crap to me.

NIck

10. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I was also wondering why everyone always talk bad about bodylifts. I've had 3" bodylifts on 3 different trucks running 38" tires or bigger and wheeled all three with no problems. It seems people who give these negative opinions have either never run a bodylift or never had a problem with one, but they heard stuff. Also why would you say you would run a 1" but say a 2" or 3" is no good? Just because ORD sells a 1" doesn't make it wrong or right. The body isn't bolted to the frame stock anyway, so like it or not your already running a bodylift. A bodylift is a good way to gain clearence for larger tires without affecting ride quality, flex, axle wrap, etc. My $.02.

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did the same thing last year, i was running a 3" and ordered a ORD 1" but when it comes down to it why??? Alot of people will pipe up about how bad they are but i dont see any problems with them, Iv had mine in for over two years with 40" tires and wheel it locally alot and took it to Uhwarrie, did all those trails without a concern. I will never take it out do to the clearance it provides for access to the gas tank, t case, plus i have a crossmember running on top of my frame for upper shock mounts in the back that i couldnt do with none or a 1". If its not broke dont fix it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a 3" body lift in the garage, I plan on cutting it down to 1.5" maybe 2". I have 1.25" body lift on my DD, I cruise the highways about 75 and take turns (with the swaybar connected) probley faster than I should.... No problems so far (*knock on wood*)

If its already in I'd say leave it. If its that big of a worry to you, pull it out and cut it down to 1.5" /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Cutting it down is kinda what I was leaning towards. I am concerned that after 4" suspension, 3" body, and 38s or so, it'll be too tall. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, but I like the extra clearance for the 454 and shocks, etc.
    I'll prolly cut the body down to 1.5" like you said.
    Thanks

14. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

here is mine with a 5 and 3 lift with 40s just for a idea of what it would sit like