Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm trying to decide if I should add a 2" body lift or not. I've got a 6" suspension lift, planning on mods like Springer Suspension for the rear, and probley ORD Zero rates (will add 1 more inch to the suspension lift) to relocate the axles. Just going to run 35" tires for the time being, but want to go up to 38" or possibly 39.5" . I do plan on some fender triming. So would you go with a 2" body lift ???? I need to replase the worn out mounts/bushings anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I would personally run a bodylift. I have a 3" bodylift and a 6" suspension w/hill shackles. When I installed my bodylift and new poly mounts, the truck actually felt tighter. I've also flexed it hard and the pucks were all firmly planted. I haven't had one problem at all with my bodylift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say no to the body lift...tall trucks are tippy. Keep the 6" lift and trim for whatever tires you eventually run. It'll be much more stable off road that way.

Rene

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

kinda depends on what you want to do with the truck. you already have alot of lift, like Rene said to tall is not a good thing unless you want to run alot of mud. I have a body lift but only a 4" suspension and it works great for me, the truck is not to big but i can run huge tires and dont have any problems with drivetrian angles. you will be able to run the 38s or 39.5 no prblem with 6"s if you dont mind doing some cutting.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Totally depends on what you wanna do with the truck...

If I had to do it again I'd not do my body lift.. 6 inches of lif tis enough fo rwhat I do...

The 3 inch body lift is nice to look higher.. but now when I go off road.. i wount be able to do the big angles without soem serious caution or not at all..

Can i take it off.. sure.. but i used locktite....

I too put new poly mounts on... awsome! Very tight and would do that if nothing else.. maybe the 1 inch body lift and the new poly mounts...

I bought daystar body mount kit for 85 bucks!

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I too put new poly mounts on... awsome! Very tight and would do that if nothing else.. maybe the 1 inch body lift and the new poly mounts...

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like the 1" body lift and new poly mounts would be the way to go. I'm not really into rock crawling, I'm more into exploring up in the Black Hills National Forest. I love hunting for old ghost towns. The Black Hills is full of old ghost towns from the gold rush days (1800's) Most of them the old roads are over grown, you're lucky to find alot of them. I think it's alot of fun to get way out in the woods and go camping. Thats the kind of thing I like to do. More mud then rocks, but there is some rocks to deal with. (The Black Hills are in reality small mountins)

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah...
    Def on the poly mounts!!!
    dont do it w/o them!

Go 1 inch.. you'll be happy... 1 inch would make the little things easier.. like putting the bolts in that bolt the tranny to the block... haha

I'd do the 1 inch if I did it again!

I love mud so 3 inch will be bearable.. course i got my 3 inch kit for like 23 bucks so.. ebay is great! the guy had a 3 inch body lif tfor a 2wd 84 suburban... worked fine for my 74 k5! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I really like my body lift. When I first put my 38's on the tires would rub the firewall and there were only 2 things i could/would do to fix that. Limit the suspension travel or do the body lift. So far I haven't had any problems being to top heavy. I keep up with all the K5's and Jeeps on our runs. BTW it's a 2" body lift on a 6" suspension lift and I plan on going with 42's next. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I did the poly bushings and 1" blocks. Does seem taller but actually with the new bushings seems more stable. I got about 2" total over the wornout factory bushings.
    [​IMG]