Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift puck question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm needing 2" body lift pucks and want to use aluminum like ORD sells. A friend works at a machine shop and can build them to my specs as ORD only has 1" aluminum pucks.

Should the center hole be the diameter of the body mount bolt or should I make it the same diameter as the body mount bolt hole? Looks like the body mount bolt is 7/16" but the body mount holes are 3/4".

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

On the ORD ones they are the size of the bolt 1/2..or a tiny bit bigger.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would make it just large enough for the bolt to go through.

Ken H.

4. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I assume your buddy is doing this el cheapo but, what are the 'considerations' of having the alum pucks vs the hard plastic ones I can buy from all over the net?

I am looking at 2-3" lift this fall and ORD just has the 1" so they are out. ORD, if you are reading this, why not do the 2 or 3" pucks? (I understand the taller the more 'stress' concept)

5. Yukon Jack

My buddy will do it for free and I like free. I wanted aluminum cause I have heard that the plastic ones can sometimes break. + aluminum has a coolness factor and strength.

I'm doing 2" for two reasons, one to get my cab to line up a little better with my flatbed's headache rack, and two for clearance for a 454 I'm preparing to swap in.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

? # 2
    if we make homemade pucks does there need to be any kind of indentions on the ends or just a solid piece of stock with the hold in the middle? I know a lot of the plastic ones are half hallow but that is just injection molding and less material so it's cheaper....

I'm thinking about going with a 5-6" body lift so I wont have to buy expensive springs LOL J/K

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm thinking about going with a 5-6" body lift so I wont have to buy expensive springs LOL J/K

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Yukon Jack

I recently saw a guy with about that much in a body lift. He used rectangular tubing and I bet they were 8" to 10" tall. It was a sight to see.

He could probably do a carb swap without lifting the hood there was such a big gap between the frame and body. Each to their own I guess!

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've only got a 1" body lift installed, and the 454 has room to spare... Just my .02! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif