Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Jul 6, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I am going to install a 2" body lift in my 78 jimmy. Do the body lift pucks sit on top of the OEM body mounts that are on there, or do they replace them? If they sit on top of the OEM mounts, can anyone recomend a full kit that i can buy? I figured that if i am in there, I might as well replace them.
    thanks,

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I just put a 2in on my project truck. And Yes I put the body lift on top of the old rubber mounts. I used Performance Accerories 2in kit.

As for getting new stock rubber mounts the only place I know of is http://www.lmctruck.com/ kinda pricy but they'll have everything you'll need

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

i have the same kit comming to me in the mail. it looks pretty simple. any sudgestions, or problem areas that you encountered?

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

any body else?

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There will be a steel cup that sits on top of the body mounts...the lift pucks will go on top of these steel cups.

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

it went together realy easy. I didn't do the front(radiator support) yet because I have the front clip off. Thats the only problem area according to the instructions. The one tip I can give though is lay out the bolts first and figure out which ones go where. They are different lengths and some are very close but they ARE different.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the upper "steel cups" he's refering to are available too, thru your dealership. $22 a piece, if need be.. i had one rotted thru when i just did my 1" ORD.. the 6 front have these. and the bottom washers for those 6 are available too.. around $7 a piece if i remember correctly...

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When those steel cups get rusty, it seems like the upper body mount is welded to it. The front radiator support body mounts are always the worst ones. :doah:

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mine were pretty hammered.. my support isn't too bad.. actually fine directly over the mount.. but they took some bashing to break free.. the support has rust splitting a seam about 6" over tho...

my worst 2 were the next 2 back.. the 2 behind those were cake... the second set back were spinners.. but 2 of my 4 interior floor rust areas were right over those 2 mounts.. cut it all open, blasted, primed, assembled, then patched the floor..

i had considered adding square 1/8 plate to all the body areas above the mounts.. maybe i'll go back in at some point....

i love the working space the bl creates...