Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by blazing86, Feb 7, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

What way have you guys found the easiest to install the body lift? Also are the body mounts easy to replace while your their?

2. definitely do the body mounts at the same time, other than those extra parts no extra time spent replacing them while your doing a body lift. I'm preparing to do a minimal body lift and I hear you should loosen all bolts, then work on one side of the truck, don't tighten bolts, then do other side. Lift body by using a jack with a length of 2x4 to spread the body weight so you don't damage the body. Just lift body enough to get the job done. Watch for anything that might get stretched like wires, linkage, brake lines.

After get both sides done, remove jacks and then tighten bolts.

1969 C20 4x4
    4" lift, 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i am starting to sound like a broken record...cause I post this every time someone asks about the body lift. At any rate, whatever you do, b4 you start the BL install: disconnect the steering-column-to-tranny linkage.....the transfer case shifting linkage....and your steering shaft.

You will prolly need to adjust said tranny/xcase linkage anyway, so disconnecting it is no big deal and it will prevent you from tweaking it when you seperate the body and frame for the pucks. Steering shaft the same thing, you prolly wouldnt tweak it or the the SB during a body lift install...but why risk it?

all that said, I like the 1" ORD body lift a lot...lil more clearance for tires...maintains a good amount of body/frame stability...and doesnt require all kinda of wacky mods like some taller BLs do.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This is all pretty good info, there's not much more to it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

sorry for the dumb ?'s but when you say disconnect your steering shaft , how exactly do you do that?? i have a 1987 K-5 and about to do my body lift , but my so called "MANS BEST FRIEND" ate my instructions, so i am kinda in the dark again? i understand that you need to cut or remove your bottom fan shroud and also need to unhook your tranny and transfer case linkage, i have no problem with that but i am wondering about the steering, i have spent a little time looking at it, but it will be the first time i will be tinkering with it, also is there any advantage to going to a BORGESON steering shaft? while i have this disconnected? thanks for your time , like i said sorry for the stupid ?'s just i am trying to make myself more mechanically inclined!!! thanks again

ck1500

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Your stock steering shaft has a slip in it, it's the flat sided section of the shaft that will telescope. There are a couple of plastic pins that hold it to length. Honestly, I've always just picked it up and not worried about the steering shaft, at least with the 1" lift. It's on a pretty long angle so the length change isn't much with a 1" height change. You can take shaft loose from the box at the rag joint and then bolt it back up when the lift is on just to make sure.
    A borgeson shaft is nice, they're really tight but I've never done a before and after test to see just what it does. I'm sure it depends on the condition of the rag joint, the newer and better the old joint is, the less difference you'll see.