Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

i know everyone is agaisnt body lifts and i see why, but i have a chance to help out a friend on a budget by knowing someone who has had a body lift laying around for his truck that hes selling cheap. my question is will a body lift for a 88-94 chevy fit a 95 full size blazer? i dont see why not how could the pucks be any different? and also my cousin has had a body lift for his 98 2500 laying around, will that work on my 90 K5?

2. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Why is everyone against body lifts? I have a 4" suspension and 2 " body runing 35's and some trimming. It's good. I figure a body lift keeps your centre of gravity lower but allows you the big tires. :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'm not personally against body lifts....made the truck easier to work on.

It'll probably work, the difference will be in both number and length of the new bolts. You may or may not have the same amount of blocks, too.

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Body lifts suck, but they are good on poser trucks like the one below!!

[​IMG] :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 1" body lift is fine. Any more - lift it the right way.

6. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Body lift is acceptable if:

1) You are in high school

2) You already have a minimum of 18" suspension lift and just have to have that extra 3"

Other than that, body lift is for housewives and little girls

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Just to play devils advocate, what so bad about a body lift other than "they suck" has anybody ever broken anything cause of them? honestly why not run one? (thats not to high...)

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you ride in the body of the truck correct? and these 6 or 8 little bolts hold the body to the frame. when you make them longer, they get easier to bend and break, regardless of what kind of spacer you have around them. i dont know about you, but i like to stay attached to my brakes and steering.

9. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

have you ever broken one?

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about a 3" one for the burb, but the way everyone freaks out about them has me worried. Are they really that bad if you don't plan of rolling over in boulder gardens? Would they be ok for Poser mud and trails?

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you have to be dumb enough to run one to break one. i have seen several break on strictly mud trucks.

12. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

8" BDS springs 3" body lift, New Poly. bushings. 1" zero rate's =12" with out the 12" spring ride!!! But hell what the F*@K do I know, I like ARB's and have over $3500.00 In my front Dana 60!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

002_2.jpg

13. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

See, at least you went to the effort to get 8" of suspension lift first. Body lift doesn't look as bad when combined with a good deal of suspension lift. (Although I personally don't like the problems you run into with bumpers, etc.) I think the main rub against them is most of the crowd you see with them -- you know, bone stock S10 blazer run up on 3 or 4" of body lift with massive 32" summit all terrain tires. The bumpers don't fit, the steering linkage is all out of whack, and the thing's constantly covered in limerock dust and dragging broken parts because the driver (usually a high school student/Dominoes delivery driver) goes baja bombing down every dirt road he can find at about 98mph, thinking he's now a cross between Ivan Stewart and Bigfoot.

Hey, everybody's got to do what works for them, and I don't want to be snotty, but if you're serious about your rig and want to do things right, then body lift should be avoided like Rosie O'Donnell.

All IMHO, of course...

14. Janitorjim8

the only reason i was wondering about this is was because its for a friend on a budget (we are in high school), his truck is IFS so its either 1500 for 4 or 6 inches and 35s on his tahoe, or a 2 or 3 inch body lift and some 33 inch swampers. No need to regear, almost as capable as a truck with 35s, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Now on my truck i don't think im gonna do a body lift, but i got a 4 inch lift with 35's and am regearing hopefully this coming weeekend (4.10's) granted i've been saving money for along time and a solid axle lift is a hell of a lot cheaper then IFS.

15. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Well, hell, I must be a complete and utter moron.... :rolleyes:

And for the other guys, I broke more mounts WITHOUT a body lift. I've had no issues with mine, and it's been 4 years.

16. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

body lift problems

hey i dont want to start any $hit with anybody but i am in the process of building my truck and yes it has a 3" body lift, i have run a body lift on both of my former lifted trucks with no problems at all. that being said my current truck (86 k-5) has a 4" suspension lift, 3" front springs with ord 0-rate up front and flipped rear shackles out back. i plan on running 39.5 X 13.50 iroks with trimmed fenders. i have a PA 3" body lift on the front 3 body mounts and in the rear i had a custom subframe built out of 2" X 1/4" square tubing that ties in with front subframe, there is 1" body lift pucks under the subframe to even it out. also i had a custom cross member built to hold 2 more body mounts for a total of 12 bolts holding the body to the frame. so to make a long story short the reason i went with the body lift is so i would not have to screw around with custom driveshafts and horrible pinion angles i might run into with 7"-8" suspension lift. this truck is being built to deal with mostly mud and with the mild wheeling i do, i dont think this should cause any problems :wink1:

17. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

If its cheap then why not? If its a fairly new vehicle and doesnt have any rust then go for it. My truck came with a body lift but i took it out cuz my bed is all rust and didnt have enough support.

Jim, i believe i met you before, did you go with my friends to a place we call Bob'o Link? You got stuck so we had to have my friends red dodge pull you out?

18. Janitorjim8

Zero, yes you are correct that was me- what a night lol. should of hit that hole with a little more speed and maybe some lockers. Where have you guys been wheeling lately, we should all defintly go soon, the truck has changed a bit since then too lol.

19. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I think I've broken everything but my body lift. The reason I initially put two inches of body lift is because my 35's did more than just rub my fenders. They jamed and tore my fenders with my 4 " BDS springs. At the time I didn't want to trim my fenders. After I put the body lift in they still rubed bad so I big time trimed them. I haven't taken the body lift out because I didn't see the point. I'm starting to see the point. I've never considered the breakage factor. :doah:

20. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

just get rid of the grade 5 bolts in the lift kit and get grade 8, they wont break.