Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Dec 10, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Who has a body lift on their burb? How well does it work? and Does anyone do any heavy towing with a body lift. I want to make my burb bigger, but want it to still be able to tow a blazer.

Dan

2. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 1 inch ORD lift on mine, and I have had zero problems with it. ORD makes their pucks with solid metal, not the hollow plastic I have seen with other makes. I am not sure how much difference a body lift would make in regards to towing since your towing from the frame down. Hope this helps./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 2" and it's nice gives the sub a good stance, it already had a 4" anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a 2" body and a 6" suspension and I tow with mine all the time without any problems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. DesertDueler

Well with big drop hitchs you put alot of stress on the frame. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with that. For instance, I have to use a 12" drop hitch to tow m boat, and it clanks alot.

Dan

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

i've got a 8" drop for pulling my dads boat with no problems, my dads burb has a custom made 16" drop easy lift hitch to pull his 35' travel trailer, been there for 8 yrs with no problems with sag, bending, stress or anything. It just all depends on HOW you tow and using common sense.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of a company that makes a 2" or 3" solid metal body lift? I saw a billet aluminum 3" lift awhile back but would prefer a 2". Thx

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ORD makes a 1" aluminum but i've never seen an aluminum 2-3"

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Why not take a 1" ORD lift and add a bunch of washers? YAAAHHHOOOOOO!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could buy 2 sets of ORD pucks and stack them. I would never recommend this with the plastic pocks, but the ORD pucks are a very tight fit to the bolts and they are metal.

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

You've seen mine, 6" suspension, 2" body, with 38's. I tow a 2300lb car trailer with anything from my 3000lb Chevelle to other club members K5's. I don't have any complaints about the lift affecting tow capacity. The heaviest thing I've towed was a 1989 1 ton extended cab with a big block. I didn't have any lift back then, but I couldn't get over 50 mph becuse it would sway too much. I only us a tow ball (2 15/16?) with no sway control or load leveling hitch.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I JUST put a 3" body lift on mine...works great! The only things are that it transmits more vibration. You will feel the motor idling. No gripes though! REALLY easy to do, and my steering still feels as responsive. One recommendation, though...buy a Borgeson steering shaft.

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Do you have picture with both the body & sup lift with those 36" hummer tires? I am currently running the 36" Hummer tires with my 4" HD Superlfit. I am also thinking of a 2" body lift, but would like to see what yours looks like.

Also, does anyone have experience with any brand 2" poly pucks? This is what I was thinking of. Also, any brand positives/negatives?

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I bought my 2" body lift and new energy supression poly body mounts at 4WPW

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What did you like/not like about them? Did you get everything you needed in the kit?

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

From what I understand, the 1" and 2" body lift kits are the same (minus the difference in puck size), the 3" kits have a little more pieces involved. On my 2" kit, everything I needed was in the kit, pucks, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. As far as the lengthening the auto shift column (weld in piece), I didn't want to cut and weld in the new piece, so I completely made a new, longer piece all together. Other than that, was happy, no problems with the kits. Only problem you will run into is possible rusty/seized body mount bolts, and you will have to drill 3 holes in the cargo area to hold the lift pucks, chevy didn't use bolts to mount those cushions, just sandwiched them in. Muddysub can atest to this, he didn't drill holes in his, just put the pucks in, ended up losing the pucks when you flex. Hope this helps.

I do have some pics on my webshots if you wanna look. If you want more pics just lemme know and I can take some more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 89GMCSuburban

I can get you one, just give me a little while...I have it in my profile, but it's all going on next week.

18. 89GMCSuburban

BTW, for the pucks with no bolts...I just drilled about half an inch into the pucks and placed a bolt through the puck and the mount and put a nut on the end. It holds them together very well, and I haven't lost the pucks.

19. DesertDueler

Well, O got my 38.5x 14.50/15 Sxs today!!!. Time for cutting I guess, unless I come up with the funds and time for a body lift.

Dan