Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift questions

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Jonathan, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I'm probably going to order a Performance Accessories 3" body lift form Summit Racing for my 96 GMC Seirra tonight. I was just wondering if ya'll can let me in on any tips or tricks that would make the install go more smoothly. Also, am I going to have to mess with the radiator hoses or shroud or my transmission (got a 5-speed) and transfer case shifters? This may be a VERY stupid question, but where are the body mounts on teh bed of my truck? There's no bolts going through the bed-floor like on my K5. Thanks for any help.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yeah its really easy install i did mine in less then 5 hours. the bed is bolted from frame to bedrails there's 8 if i remeber correctly. idk bout the 5 spd cuz i got auto.. but youll have to take the bottom of the fan shroud off or cut it so the fan will not hit it. Im running dual elec. fans, un bolt the metal brake lines off the frame.. all this will be in the install instructions. You getting a bumper relocation kit with it? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I'm just getting the front bumper relocation kit that comes with it, I won't get the rear kit unless the gap buggs me just a whole lot. I'm probably gonna spend all day Sunday working on it, maybe I'll get it tomorrow though and be able to do it Saturday or maybe just spend all night on it, I got 2nd day air and ordered last night, so who knows. Are they're any special tools needed? Now I gotta start looking for a good deal on some decent 33's, I'll probably have to get used ones since I have no money now.

4. 89K1500Chevy

Yeah i got a diamond plate that covers up the gap in the rear but i think if i losen the bumper and then raise it and tighten it that could lift it up enough to not have a gap.. not special tools needed...

5. jacobean

jacobean Registered Member

My son and I put a 2" body lift in his 88 (new style), it took us about 8 hours of work. It wasnt real technical but was a real hassle getting the bolts out of the bed because they were very corroded. Our kit came with instructions on extentding the fan shroud, and worked quite well. I dont recall any changes for the standard trans. shifter. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Miller

Miller Registered Member

my kit didnt come with fan shroud exstenions so I mad some 3" spacers out of wood to drop the fan down to its original mounting points.

worked pretty good fro being home grown.

7. 89K1500Chevy

ok well my transmission is sitting by the side of my house and i was looking at the rear bumper and there isnt really a way to unbolt the bumper and raise it up and then tighten it but im going to find a way to do it or just weld it up like a couple other ppl i know have done... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. Miller

Miller Registered Member

I bought the raised rear bumper brackets but found they dont line up with aftermarket bumpers so i bolted the brackets to the frame and welded the bumper to them. turned out realy strong. later on down the rd I ended up refabbing my rear reciver hitch frame to raise it 3"s to.

all that and I have plans to tosh the body lift in the trash one of these days.