Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift = Room to raise drivetrain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazinaire, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking (I try not to) about adding a 1'' body lift to my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. My original reasoning was that I would have 1'' more to fit some F250 towers so as to use the longest shock possible ... Then I was thinking (that's twice in one day /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) with the extra space I could move my T-case x-member ABOVE the frame rail (x-member is about 1 1/8'' tall including frame thikness so I would gain 1 1/8'' clearance /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) and somehow raise my motor as to keep driveline angles in check. This would give my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif a significantly flatter belly and have all the benefits of 1'' of suspension lift with a slightly lower CG due to the frame being in the same place (I know, it's minimal, but this isn't my main reasoning). I also wouldn't need to adjust any shift linkage between the trans or t-case. I have spent mucho tiempo under my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif in the driveway (neighbors think I was run over) checking things out and so far the only problem I have run into with this is how do I lift the motor? If I were to simply add 1'' of material underneath the mounts, it would make the cradle (between motor mounts) 2'' tighter (since they are somewhat facing each other in a V shape) so I would have to move the motor mounts up and out to achieve the proper fit right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I realize that this WILL have the same affects on my drivelines as actually raising the suspension but new shafts are in the works anyway. Anybody done this? Know of any reasons not to?

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jay, I am building a entirely different truck than you (engine, tranny, t-case) but yes I have done what you are talking about. I have raised everything up and forward about 2-3" and have the t-cases clocked up above the bottom rail of the frame. It will still require cutting clearance into the floor even with a 3" body lift. It will require quite a bit of fitting to get it into the right place. I have the body off and it was still a chore to fit everything. There are pictures in my signature.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Way cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif! Should be a heck of a lot easier for me (no clocking or doubler /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) Thanks for the quick reply