Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift +'s and -'s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy409, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

Body lift +\'s and -\'s?

My truck is going to be off the road for the next week and I'm thinking about throwing in a body lift (2" is what i want). What are things I'll need to lengthen? Bumpers need raised brackets but what happens to my stick shifts, steering, and anything else I've forgotten? What was the hardest part about it and how long did it take you to put yours in? Thanks and I'm open to any suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Body lift +\'s and -\'s?

I love my 2" on my burb. Only took me a couple hours to do myself. I lengthened my auto linkage, didn't have to do anything to my 203 shifter(luckily), I unbolted the steering column under the dash and bolted it back up once i was done, unhang all wiring before and hang back up when done, my custom bumper are welded to the frame ends, so nothing was done there.

This help ya a little?

[​IMG]

3. Chevy409

Cool, thanks for the reply. I don't get the steering part still though and mostly worried about that? What do you mean you unbolted it and then reboletd it? Is there an edjustment or something? Sorry for the lame questions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

there are 4 bolts holding the steering column to the dash right where the column goes under the dash.

[​IMG]

5. mdstmpr

mdstmpr Registered Member

I just did a 2" lift last weekend it took about four hours with all the rusted bolts. Make sure you loosen or take off your front bumper, my over lapped my grill and broke it during the lift. Also I don’t know what year you are doing but some new body mounts would be a good idea since you have it all apart. Other then what muddytazz said you might have to loosen you fuel tank hose. And I have heard of people having problems with the fan hitting the fan shroud. Good Luck.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Good call, forgot about the fan shroud, had to trim mine.

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Chevy409

sorry, i should've posted that before, it's a '72 stepside with a 73-87 bed. Any real side affects with body lifts?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I haven't had any with my 2" on my burb, and you would think it would be top heavy, but no problems and i've had mine on for a few months now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I really don't see any potential side-effects. I have a 3" bodylift and I love it. Don't let anybody pursuade you otherwise because they probably don't have the experience of a bodylift. They just tell you what they heard. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have to say i love my 3" too. it was real helpfull when i had to drop the tank to put in the flip, just reach in and unhook everything then let it go. Also i can change me spark plugs without popping the hood and dont have to contort my arm around everything. and it makes places to store extra drivshafts and things like that to save more interior room /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Chevy409

Thanks for help guys.

I was just looking the situation over again and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do something about the clutch linakge, right? I got a 3" lift from a friend today and 3 inches will affect it, or so it looks. What do i do about that?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If its not long enuf, lengthen it. I'm not to sure whats all involved with a clutch setup, mine is auto and I lengthened it.

13. Chevy409

All right, cool, sounds like a little backyard building and that's what i like best. just didn't know if there was some set procedure i had to take. Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm installing the lift now, i'll most likely be back with more questions /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

good luck, and most of us will most likely be here

15. Chevy409

Thanks for the help everyone. I put the lift in today and had to drop the steering, lengthen a battery cable, cut and weld the clutch linkage about an 1.75" longer, and adjust the thottle linkage. other than that it all sits even and it feels great to be elevated even a little higher /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif just need some friggin' tires to fill the lonely wheel-wells now/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Thanks again.

16. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 3" body lift that's been in the box for about 6 months. I just can't seem to the time or help to put it on. Did you have extend the transfer shifter or the gear shifter any. This would be a great help me since mine too is a standard.

Kirk

17. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I would just melt out the plastic pins in the steering shaft instead of unbolting the steering column.

[​IMG]

18. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Do you have the 3 inch or 2 inch? With the 3 inch, would you have enough steering shaft to slide back or would you have to loosen the steering column also? How bout the auto tranny linkage and transfer case linkage? Debating on a 2 inch or 3 inch.

19. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

This is a 3" body lift. There is plenty of room left on the shaft, and I have wheeled the heck out of it. No problems!

20. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Did you drill new holes and put in new plastic pins?