Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift steering ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Mar 24, 2002.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'm planning on doing my 2" body lift as soon as it warms up just a bit more and need to know if any of you can take a picture or 2 of exactly how I'll need to adjust the steering column thingy ..... I can't remember what it's called .... it's the part you have to loosen up and let it freely drop out a bit ......... I'm not too clear on that part at all and don't want to screw it up......... thanks !

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'll try to get you some pics tomorrow, it's dark right now.

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Riz, no pictures, but quiet easy. Just under your rag joint, let shaft slide out of cup end up by firewall, may need a good tug due to rubber seal. The cub has the play for 2" inches, but what I recommend is that you take the shaft out, put in vise, heat up the plastic plugs, so now the shaft comes apart (slip shaft like) reinstall the dam thing on truck, push the nuts back up into cup, and slip shaft out so as to have good contact at rag joint and stock location of slip in the cup. Mark shaft, take it back out, drill a new hole in shaft all way through (ensuring when you drill, it is now set at the new marked lenght), and inert a nylon bolt and washer. You can juse steel, but not good if you get in a wreck as the nylon will break allowing the shaft to collasp rather than eating steering wheel. Hope this helps. Pretty easy. Good luck.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Pretty easy ? All that confused me more .......... Is there enough play in it that it won't be extended to it's limit and be dangerous ?

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I installed a 3 inch bodylift on my 79 blazer a couple of weeks ago. All I did was remove the 4 bolts under the steering column and loosen the 2 by the firewall. After this your whole steering column will be loose and ready for you to lift it. After your done lifting install the four bolts and tighten the 2 by the firewall. Mine works great.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just did a body lift on my friend's K10 today. We didn't even fart with the steering column...just jacked up the body and the shaft slid out...never even unhooked it. It was a 3" kit.

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

What year K10 was it man? I'm probably going to put my 3" body lift on my '88 Blazer here real soon. The steering and the t-case are the only things I am hesitant about doing.

8. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Same here. I've done three 3" body lifts and never jacked with the steering shafts. They all pulled out enough and didn't pose any problems of coming out.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You need to melt the plastic pins out of the steering shaft so it will extend out. No big deal, I used a litle torch. Here is a picture maybe this will help. The directions dont say to replace them and I have not had problem. Be sure to extend the shaft, I didnt at first and it damaged my steering box.
    http://home.mchsi.com/~big85blazer/steering.JPG

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just heated the shaft with a blow torch. didn't even remove it. Extended it while the plasitc was still soft. Heated it a second time and let it cool. It relocked at the extended length. That was with a one inch ord body lift.

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

What plastic pins? Mine just slid out while I lifted. No problems at all.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It was an '86 K10 we did it on.

We just body-lifted the box yesterday. It turned out really well. When I'd posted that, we'd only had the cab done.

No, he didn't drive it with only the cab lifted, but I told him that he should have. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

T-case adjusted and the linkage works on his 208 just as if it were stock.

Steering no problem. We didn't touch it. No torch necessary (although we had one on hand) No unbolting the nylon bolt, nothing.....just jacked it up slowly and I kept my eye on it. It works fine and I'm sure with those new poly bushings, that cab won't tweak nearly as much as it did previously.

Tranny we welded the 3" piece in with his dad's Lincoln. Took less than 10 minutes to do and turned out perfect even though we're not pro welders.

I feel really successful having done my first body lift on a fairly rusty truck with only minor problems (had to cut the floor to get some WD 40 on one of the bolts in the back of the cab, and had to wel d a nut to one bolt because this idiot he let help him broke it off).

I imagine it's got to be a total b**** to body-lift a K5 though since you have to lift such a big body. At least on a truck, the cab and box are seperate, and if it won't line up, a quick shove to the side will move it where it needs to go.

You've got 9" of lift right now and you want a body lift, huh? What size tires are you running? I'm thinking of running 8+3 when I get my 38s. We cut my other friend's fenders on his '75 K20 all the way back to behind the inners and his 38x15 Ground Hawgs still rub the back of the front fenders!! (he's got 6+3 for lift and so many leaves that it just shouldn't flex that much! 6 leaves front 13 leaves in the rear).

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man there is so many different ideas!!!!!

What is the main thing people have done on a 1979 K5 Blazer with a 3" kit?

14. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Another 3" 1979 K5 bodylift question...

What have you guys done to modify the rear tailgate hinge springs. They are mounted to the frame and provide torsion upon lifting the tailgate. Mine are TIGHT and I even removed them from the frame, They are now resting on the thin metal between the bumber and frame. Would it be ok to remove these and just use brute strength to shut the tailgate?

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well, I cut mine off and welded the tailgate in. How is that for a different idea!