Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift vs Suspension lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73Jimmy, Apr 27, 2000.

1. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

For mud season, I want to run 900x16"s (36" tall) on my 73 Jimmy so I am interested in lifting in general.

It seems that body lift has a couple of advantages: lower overall center of gravity (vs suspension lift)
    and less chance for upsetting the stock geometry and starting vibration and steering problems.

Is this true?

In the few searches I have done for body lifts I find Jeep parts but no Blazer/Jimmy parts yet.
    The Jeep stuff (M.O.R.E.) seemed pretty inexpensive compared to the suspension lift kits I have seen.
    Can anyone recommend body lifting over suspension lifting?
    Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

I have the stock 31's for running around, and 235R16 studded/flex retreads for winter. The 900x16s
    are just for hunting/fishing/cruising the back roads. I don't climb rocks and I hate to pull out my
    come-along unless it is to get someone ELSE out of a mess :)

Just getting started, have the inside gutted and am now sanding/scraping awaiting my POR15.
    Then some Chevy Orange Durabak! Going for waterproof. I hate to put the top on!

Thanks,

73Jimmy

2. espen

espen Registered Member

Hey,
    You will only be able to run 33's with just a bodylift. They only go as far as 3". Anything more is not considered safe.
    Installing a bodylift also includes the following challanges:
    Radiator-shroud must be cut because the radiator goes upp with the body and the engine stays on the frame.
    Shifter-rod's will have to be lenghtened.
    Maybe a wire and fuel-line problem. Maybe...
    Bumpers will be low and bracets should be made to realign them.
    The "help-spring" on the tailgate will have to be removed or redesigned.
    Warn has them, and yes they are cheap compared to a suspensionlift.
    I am installing a bodylift from Warn as soon as I get it in the mail. Then when I have had that for a year I plan on getting a 4" suspensionlift. That will total me 7" and should clear 36" with no problems.
    Hope this helped
    Espen88k5

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i am not a fan of bodylifts. suspension lifts are the way to go. with suspension lifts you get more ground clearance, and better flex. body lifts you are not lifting the axles, frame, shafts etc. you will keep your stock ride only with a gap of three inches between the frame and body. if your are wanting it to look mean, but never take it off road then get the body lift. but for other, save money and get the suspension lift. i have seen combinations of body and sus. that worked good together, but be careful when you start combining, it could posibly be squirly driving if you don't think with the combos, and the center of gravity is raised.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

what do you think of a 6" sus lift (6" front springs, rear shackle flip, custom) and a 2" or 3" body lift?? I will be running 36" ground hawgs and maybe 38's later

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

5. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

a friend of mine has a 73 with a 6 in sus. and a 3 in body.he has dual shocks on all fours. his tire size is 40 x 17 super swampers. he has had no problems with rubbing, and can go over just about anything. you still have to be careful, because you are so top heavy. he doesn't use it for rockcrawlin, just muddin.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

hmmmm... is there anyone out there with a pic. of that much lift on their K5? I kindo want ta see what it looks like (size wise) before I go ahead and pull my truck apart. Thanks

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Here is a truck from a dude in this forum with a 6"susp and 3" body with 39.5" meats.
    http://coloradok5.com/rrudzi.shtml
    Boss
    ps, how do yall make that highlighted again, so everyone can just click on it?

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

look at mark up posts the stuff is there in brackets you need url in front and /url in back do not add the http:// the (url) will do it for you

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]