Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift vs. Suspension lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Jan 9, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I'm curious as to the differences between body and suspension lifts. What are the pros and cons of each? I have an '88 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif if that has anything to do with it.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The body will only gain you tire clearance, but its cheap. A suspension lift can change the way you truck handels, give you better clearance underneath and is a better thing to do. I have both. I liked the way my suspension was set up but I needed a little more clearance for the bigger tires to flex. So I added the body lift second.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get a suspension lift !!!!! Better yet, find yourself some 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton axles, and do the suspension lift at the same time. I like the 6" lift personally. Now as soon as you're done and everything is all good, go ahead and get new poly body mounts and the ORD 1" body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Better yet, find yourself some 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton axles, and do the suspension lift at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

or better yet, decide for yourself what the reason for your lift is- is it for ground clearance, appearance, or what...each person has his/her own idea's as to why to go each route...some people balk at body lifts, others stand by that recommendation.The best idea is to figure out what it is YOU want YOUR truck to do, do some searches here in the forums, on suspension and body lifts, etc... Once you have decided what your going to do with your rig, then you can figure out what lift to use... AND what axles YOU need.....lately there is a big go 3/4 or 1 ton kick going on here, don't feel the need to HAVE to do that.....there are reasons people have for going that route- but AGAIN....figure out how your going to drive your rig, and what types of conditions your going to be heading out into..the types of stresses on your truck...remember, it's YOURS...For the record- I have a 4" skyjacker soft ride suspension system, AND a 3" body lift--- all that with 1/2 ton axles- oh me bad
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Brandy

5. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Don't lift springs make it real stiff and have bad articulation?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Depends on what brand you use. Some are stiff and others are quite flexy.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Actually no. I went to a Tuff country spring which has a real low spring rate. It flexes just fine. In fact I put on the body life it flexed so well. And thats with a 6" lift. You could go a 4" and I think it would ride quite well depending on the manufacturer.

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

personally i used to be against body lifts
    but now i have installed one on my friends wrangler, and i think they are ok, 1inch is what im thinking. i dont think i would go any bigger.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

thank you brandy, very well put /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah #1 figure out what you want your truck for...
    if you're planning on doing 33s-35s and just want a street machine, you could go with a small body lift and gain the needed clearance...
    but if you're looking to flex bigger tire, you might want to go the suspension lift route...
    let us know what your usage plans are for the truck and we can give you a better suggestion...
    either could be the right way to go depending on your plans for it...
    good luck!

11. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

SUSPENSION LIFT all the way. K5's benefit greatly from regular suspension lifts. Depending on your current suspension or the type that you want the applications differ. Personally, I am still sporting the old front and rear leaf spring setup. I did a 2.5 inch spring lift and got slightly longer shocks. The next step depends on whether you're looking for functionality in your lift or just looks. If you just want big tires then by all means slap on a cheap body lift but stay off the trails. I would do a small suspension lift and minor fender trimming. I know it sounds drastic but if done correctly it can look great and still be functional as all hell. That way you'll have clearance for bigger tires, more travel in articulation, less sway, and a better center of gravity (which helps more than you can imagine). If you talk to a proffessional and explain your exact reasoning for wanting a lift they can give you a much more detailed description of each of the MANY types of lifts. It's not just as simple as "body" or "suspension".....there are various types of both.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not so sure I agree with the logic that an "all spring" lift is the way to go.

I agree that "small lift &amp; fender trimming" will keep the CG low....but comparing apples-to-apples, I think there's a different answer....

For example:

Let's say that for a given tire size you've selected, you will need 6" of lift. You can do that with a 6" lift spring, or maybe a 4" spring and a 2" body lift. Which one has the lower CG?

I'd argue that the 4+2 lift does....the body of a truck weighs less than the complete frame and drivetrain. By keeping these HEAVY components lower to the ground, the CG should also be lower to the ground....

As always, there is a practical limit to how this can be done.....I wouldn't say a "stock" spring and 6" body lift is a good idea.....but I think that there is merit to considering the use of BOTH a spring lift &amp; body lift depending on what you want to achieve with the truck.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personally, I like having a little of both kinds of lift... as opposed to lots of susp lift (to stiff a suspension) or lots of body lift (the body being a long ways from the frame is never good imo). right now i have about 5-5.5" of suspension lift and 1" of ORD body lift. For me, thats just right. Springs arent toooo stiff (stockers in the rear, 4" springs + zero rates up front) and the body is only seperated from the frame by ORDs 1" solid aluminum spacers. I could run 42s on my rig prolly, just have to trim a little more than I have thus far.

j

14. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

As for uses, I use my K5 mostly going back and forth to school, but I need it to some mild/average off roading, nothing very difficult or insane. Right now it has the stock suspension with quad shock front end. I don't know if it is supposed to be this way, but my front leafs are domed and the rear are normal arched. I just bought my 32"s and don't plan to get rid of them anytime soon($$$)
    Thanks guys