Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 2, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am putting a 2" bodylift on a friends 82 chevy long bed. It already has a 4 inch suspension. What is the best way to do this. (by the way it is a automatic)

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pull all the body mount bolts on one side and loosen the ones on the opposite side. Use a jack and jack up the side without the bolts, slide in your pucks, put in the new longer bolts, and repeat on the other side. Watch all of your lines when jacking up the body because it has to come up pretty far to get the 3" pucks in. You will need to weld the 3" extension provided in the kit to your shifter. No big deal if you have a welder and know how to. Oh and you have to drill out the little plastic stops that are in the steering shaft that keep it from sliding out. I just heated the plastic up with a torch until it melted out instead of trying to drill it. Once you get the plastic out make sure you lube your shaft up real good so it slides in and out really easy. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

keep an eye on your radiator fan shroud as well. just a one inch body lift on my rig created a mis-alignment with the fan shroud and fan....

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You may have to cut the bottom off your shroud, or modify it so the fan doesn't hit it.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, That is basically what all the instructions state. Any things special I should do or watch for?