Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tbird77, Apr 21, 2004.

1. tbird77

tbird77 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I recently got a 3" body lift kit from a guy and the kit has no bolts in it. I got the kit cheap but I need to know how long the bolts are so I can install the lift.
    The guy I got it from said thats all he receved and does not know anything about the lift kit.
    Does anyone know how long the bolts should be for a 83 GMC Jimmy or a K5?
    the only time I have to work on the truck is on Sundays and I cannot have the truck unuseable during the week. so I realy need to know what to get before hand.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Just take the bolts out of one side or the other one night and add 3"s to the length. Be sure to do all of the mounts down one side cause' they are different lengths. Then you can stick em back in and go. This is what I'm going to do when I cut my 3" down to 1.5" soon.

3. tbird77

ok but they are rusted in and I am afread to twist them out in the event they snap.. I cannot drive the truck with one side of body bolts holding it down..
    so... If you know how long the bolts are. I would like to hear from ya..
    Thanks

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let me get this straight:

1. Your truck is a daily driver

2. You only have one day to do a body lift

3. The body mount bolts are rusty and might snap

This all adds up to a disaster in the making.

5. tbird77

almost...
    saturday night and sunday to work on it...
    This is why I need as much info as possable before starting..

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Your truck is a daily driver

2. You only have one day to do a body lift

3. The body mount bolts are rusty and might snap

This all adds up to a disaster in the making.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You're not planning for anything to go wrong are you? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif If the bolts are rusted then spray them everyday for a week with PB Blaster to help loosen them. Even then you might break a nut loose ( /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) and it'll spin freely from where it's welded to. It'll take you all day to get that one bolt out. Have you thought about the fan hitting the shroud or the floor interferring with the t-case shift lever? Or checking for wires that are too tight afterwards? Gas filler tube?

7. tbird77

sawsall and a drill will fix all those problems.
    no shroud and I can nothc the floor to open it up for the t-case.. .any other ites you would like to ask me about??
    how about telling me how long the bolds are?? that might be helpful....

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Never did a body lift, someone else will have to help you there. Let us know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The bolts you need are 3" longer than the stock ones. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

But seriously, You will probably need more than Saturday night and Sunday to do it. It took me 2 days to get my 3" body installed and I put in 12hrs both days. I spent 1 day basically getting out the 2 back bolts on the side of the fuel tanks. Have fun with those. It sucks... Also my truck is a Cali rig and I didn't have hardly any rust issues and I basically guned the bolts right out.

10. tbird77

ok but do you know how long the bolts should be?

11. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Not to beat a dead horse, but you are going to HAVE to get something else to drive somehow or another, and just pull the stock bolts and measure. There is no way to tell how long it will take to do the lift, I did mine in about 8hrs with 1 person helping and have heard of some taking 2 days or more.

12. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Me and a buddy did it in 5 hrs on a longbed. A little eaasier than a blazer though. Took 5 hrs(in the dark, got a late start cause of beer)

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Man, the guy asks for botl lengths and everyone gives him [darn].

I wish I could rememver the lengths from when I did mine. Took me 2 hours, but didnt have any troubles. You should be able to get it done from SAt to Sun.

Ken H.

14. barryb

barryb Registered Member

actually i started on mine just the other day . I will see if the old bolts are in the trash yet or not at the store and post the lengths friday if i still have them..

Did you guys have to do anything with the tailgate springs?? i looks like they are mounted to the frame , and for now im not planning on moving the bumbers.... will they still work ?? Or what did you do with em ??

and i had to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif a couple bolts myself.

barry

15. barryb

barryb Registered Member

3.5 and 5" for length on my 90 blazer ... dont know quanities , since i only found three in the shop floor still.

barry

16. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

I just took apart my entire floor in my 95. I think the cab mounting is the same, so i will try and get back to you on the exact dimensions that the STOCK bolts were. Most of the back are around 4-5 inches, long, infact all of them are. ill get back at you.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

Did you guys have to do anything with the tailgate springs?? i looks like they are mounted to the frame , and for now im not planning on moving the bumbers.... will they still work ?? Or what did you do with em ??

barry

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes the springs are connected to the frame and the tailgate will not work properly with the body lift. I cut the frame horns off both ends of my K5, plated them, and rewelded them to the frame with the plate bringing them up 3". Tailgate works perfect now and the pumper heigth looks stock again.