Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Apr 25, 2005.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

with body lifts are they like springs are there better ones than others or are they all pretty much the same. also what's a reasonable price for a 2in

2. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

Man, body lifts are bad news. If you just want a bit of a lift, how about add a leafs, or blocks.

3. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

they arnt a bad thing i have a 3 inch with a 6inch suspension i got the body lift from superlift. time for 38's :D

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

the problem is, most major suspension companies void the warrenty when you add a body lift. My main point is that if you can add to the suspension, that is the better way to go.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never heard of this before. I'm guessing because you're probably running larger tires than they recommend. Besides, most of the abuse we put things through would void parts warranties anyways.

I'd stay with 2" or less if you're set on a BL, there isn't really much difference between manufacturers besides some include brackets to raise the bumper and some don't.

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help.
    I'm looking for about an 8in lift but I'd like to be a able to get a little flex out of the springs so I want to go 6in springs and 2in body. I'm guessing 8in springs won't flex to much. And I'm not to worried about warrentys

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

not BDS they have a no questions asked, you could run into a tree and they would send you new springs

8. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

who needs warranty's :whistle:

9. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

who makes the brackets, ive never seen them manufactured and would definatly buy a body lift kit if thats the case. or if anyone can make them here, please let me know!!!

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 1" ORD bodylift. I like it. Sometimes that extra inch between frame and body comes in handy... and not necessarily just to fit bigger tires.

j

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I like body lifts, its the only way to get 3" without changing drive line angles or steering. Ive never had a bad expirence with one

12. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to get the new 2in body lift on the prjoect truck. Do I use the factory rubber body mounts along with the body lift or does the body lift take their place. I'm asking because the ones on the truck are shot and now would be the best time to swap in some new ones while everythings off.

13. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I did put the blocks on top of the oem bushings

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

15. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i put a 3in body lift on mine, and i think it is great.

i havent had any problems, i can now run my 36s or even larger without taking out my inner fender, i was able to keep my flexy 4in tc springs,
    and now i can access so many things that i couldent before.

i can now change my spark plugs without popping the hood, i can access my fuel pump w/o dropping the tank. and i can access most of my frame so i can clean and paint it.

16. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

You do need the bushings, I would order up some new polyurethane ones if I were you, will last much longer than rubber ones plus its an easy and cheap upgrade while youre at it. I kinda like body lifts, I put a 1" in my '89 and i to like the little extra clearance it gives you for working on stuff under the truck (tranny, tcase, etc.) plus the fact that it helps you keep your suspension lift to a minimum which should give you better flex, and drive line angles. Oh and dont forget to disconnect the spring for the tailgate if you are putting it in a k5, i forgot and it was a major pita to get the rear blocks in, plus I think my body is off center now from all the prying i did to get them in :confused: .

17. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

anyone here have pics of a 2 in or 3 in bl, specifically a side shot, how do our trucks handle the frame showing? ive seen some rediculous toyotas with 2-3 inches of frame hanging out and i think it just looks terrible

18. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tip on the tailgate.
    Yeah I was a little against the BL in the begining but now that I've thought about it. Using the 6in springs and the 2in bl should be better in the long run for for what I want from this build. I also thought about how just the 6in springs i did about a year ago changed so much on my DD blazer. I just figured the 2in body would be better than trying to deal with the big springs