Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Jun 5, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Well I want to use a body lift to get some extra space around the truck and so I wont have to cut fenders. I've herd that HOCKEY PUCKS can be used to get the lift I'm lookn for. Will this work will hockey pucks crack or are they thick enough, and can I stack em to get me 3 inches. I know I can just buy a body lift kit but I have like Zero money and wouldn't mind do'n the extra work. Thanks

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

dont do it it would not be safe. wait til you have the money and get the body lift

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

2 bucks a hockey puck, you need 10 = 20 bucks
    10in grade 8 bolts (not sure on the length) about 4bucks a piece, u need 10 so about 40 bucks
    washers and nuts and locktite - 10
    70 vs about 90

why do ppl keep saying hockeypucks will work. i hear that more and more and that idea just scares me.

alot of ppl are skeptical of body lifts to begin with and when you fab up your own from sporting good equiptment it just gets scarrier

4. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks I never really figured to cost of everything together I guess it's about the same and from the begining the hockey puck idea sounded cheep and I was not really into it just a thought I will just have to wait for the next payday and order it then

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hockey pucks for a body lift...Hmmmm? That reminds me...way back in the 70's when I raced motocross, and there was no federal mandate yet that all helmets be either DOT or SNELL approved, there was a saying about people that bought cheap helmets "$10 dollar helmets are for $10 dollar heads". :grin:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

2 things 1: your life isnt worth it to skimp like that.

........... 2: that kind of stuff is what gives use good truck builders a bad name. so please dont do that.

7. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

To help clear this up a little I had seen this talked about before in previous threads and was just woundern about it I have never done a body lift before and I have seen people make em out of other stuff like solid blocks with holes drilled in them and peices of stainless steel tube with ends welded on them and other stuff and was just woundering if you could actually do it. But now that I've had plenty of answers I will go with my first choice of an actual body lift kit.

8. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

ebay has lots of body lifts for cheap like $30.00 check it out.

9. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Thats a good idea I'll check it out

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

the best idea for home made that someone told me, even though this is already done with, was the 3" square steel pipe turned sideways.