Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How many of ya'll are running a body lift on your gen 1 blazers? I am thinking of taking some old 3" BL pucks and cutting in half into 1" or 1.5" blocks and installing. Biggest reason is it makes it much easier for working on under truck stuff and give a smidge more clearance. Anything that I will run into? Thanks.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

That's a good compromise: 1.5" vs 3". Just make sure the pucks you use are in top notch condition as well as the hardwware. Also make sure the surface where the puck sits, both above and below it, is sound. I take it your 1st. gen is on factory body mounts? If so your probably going to deal with hardware and mounts frozen on! Good luck and post your progress pics!

3. MNorby

Yeah I'll start spraying the bolts with PB soon. I sprayed all they suspension bolts a couple times this week and when I put the front lift on this AM the bolts came out effortlessly!!! The body mount rubbers aren't in great shape so hope to score some good ones first too. I don't like the huge BL but like a little so will just cut these in half. They are in good shape, ran them in my 83 when it was still a cab truck for a couple years. Anyone else here running a 1" or so BL? Also what body mounts does everyone like? Thanks.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Right now I'm going with Superlift BL and I'm going to put polyurethane cab mount bushings instead of rubber. I'm going to eventually go back and make the BL more of a structual part of the frame (i.e. make the frame 'taller'). So it won't 'act' like a body lift,structually, ( i.e. longer bolts to worry about), because it won't be! It'll act like a factory body mount. I got the idea from Matkins Extreme frames. However, you can't get away from the Laws of Physics! It'll still act like a body lift via high center of gravity.

5. MNorby

Matkins frames are built 90 miles from here... anyways, I am going more for just ease of working underneith on drive train. a 1" or so BL doesn't compromise mush for structure, heck prob putting new body mounts in it would give me some more height :rolleyes:

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm at a 2" BL now, but seriously considering pulling 1" out of that....

Not because of any problems, but really just because the 1-Ton swap (the D60 mainly) adds lift that I really didn't want...I have a set of aluminum pucks that I'm planning to use (instead of the currect plastic ones).

Bodylifts can give you critical clearance for valvecovers and the dizzy, and does make it easier to rinse off the mud, etc from underneath.

:usaflag:

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have 3" BL w/ EnergySusp. Polygraphite bushings. I have never had a BL related problem. I agree that any more that 3" would be crazy...this lift was on my K5 when I bought it in 93 so I have no clue who made it...

8. MNorby

I had a 3" BL on my 83 truck. I loved how easy it was to get to bellhousing bolts etc. Also on a side note, how well does a HEI distributor fit with firewall clearance?

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No clue, I run Mallory EFI dist. Basically the size of our stock point dist. This dist is really just a rotor spining as the EFI computer does the rest.

With my old 350 I ran MSD "ready-to-run" billit dist..I think 8360 is the number if memory servs. It is also smaller like the points dist. and had pleanty of room back there.

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got an ACCELL super coil thing going on and it's CLOSE!!!

Too close really. :o

11. MNorby

Do you have a BL?

12. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nope but should the need arise, your idea sounds about right.

13. MNorby

What about body mounts. some of mine are MIA. I had some of those poly or whatever mounts on my 83 when it was a cab truck. Whats the best to get for the gen 1s?

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I like polyurethane bodymounts. Just like the polyurethane bushings on leafsprings; they're soft yet firm, they outlast rubber bushings 4-fold.

BTW, congrats on the Blue Torch win!:bow:

15. MNorby

Thank you man, can't wait to link the rear of the truggy! Anyways do you have any prefence for place to buy mounts that have treated people well? Otherwise just summit or something

16. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Suspensionconnection.com are pretty cool. They have 2in, as well as 3in BL kits. When I lived in So. Cal (San Diego) I bought my stuff almost exclusively at 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers because they were in the city, good customer service (when your a monthly customer; first name basis, etc...). Now I'm up here in (smalltown) Boise, ID I'm almost all internet buying.
    And this website has really helped me with my '72 K5 project BIGTIME!!:saweet: :k5:

17. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

I'm running an ORD 1" aluminum puck lift with Energy poly bushings and a DUI HEI unit that just barely clears. The rearward plug wires just graze the firewall.... fits like a glove!

Nate

18. MNorby

so chances are my body molding skills, you know, large hammer, should make a HEI fit? Na, I'll prob take my old 3" BL and cut the puls down into 1" BL and get new mounts. I have bought a 4 kits from suspension conneciton in my time and have always had great service with them, I will see if they sell the mounts.

19. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" body lift and hate everything about it except the 3" of lift it gives. I personally think they look tacky and its hard to get bumpers and other cosmetics to look quite right. but thats just my opinion. I'd take it out but i dont have the money to replace the 3" with any suspension items.

20. MNorby

thats the reason I wanna do a 1", just for some extra tub clearance w/o being huge. I am gonna uild bumpers so that is no big deal