Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by shadowwolf28, Jul 30, 2001.

1. shadowwolf28

shadowwolf28 Newbie

what do i have to do to put on a body lift 87 blazer full size

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Our 1" really doesn't take much beyond removing the existing bolts, jacking the body up an inch and putting the new lift pucks and bolts in it. The biggest thing to check out is fan shroud clearance, you may have to do some trimming on the shroud to make sure the fan doesn't hit it.
    One big potential problem is rusty bolts, we've had to fight some of them pretty hard, even on rust free trucks. You'll want to hose everything often with penetrating lube, and never us an impact gun on the bolts with captured nuts.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"don't use a impact on captured nuts"

I can second that one! It's ugly. (don't ask me how I know, I just know[​IMG])

Twiztid

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I didn't need an impact...I broke one clean off with a 16" breaker bar and I had soaked it for 2 weeks before starting the job. [​IMG]

I did have to perform some surgery on the lower part of the fan shroud and re-adjust my clutch linkage but that was all that needed doing. Overall the kit is high quality and very complete.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok you guys talk about trimming on the fan shroud. Have a friend who has a 95 s series were looking at a 2" body lift to clear 31's is there ever an issue with cooling after a b/l?

Like em big and topless

6. Stephen

You probably won't have any problems with the cooling, there's a good bit of reserve capacity to most cooling systems. If you're on the edge of overheating as is, it might be the last straw, but normally there are other problems that add up to that situation also.

SW-ORD

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just got my body lift in. In the directions it said that I had to remove my carpet from the interior and drop my fuel cell. I have no problem with the carpet removal. Do I need to remove the front and rear carpet? or just the rear? And, is it really necessary to drop the fuel cell? Seems to me this could be a real PIA. One final question, what should I use to jack up the body? I was thinking of using cinder blocks to get my floor jack up high enough to reach the body and use it to jack it up. Is this what is intended? And how should I jack the body up? What kind of spacer or brace should I use to spread the pressure form the jack across the tub? Would a 4x4 wooden post be sufficient? I know it said something in the directions about this, but they were faded and I couldn't read all the words.

Thanks

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

8. Stephen

OK, you just need to pull up the rear carpet, they conveniently welded the rear body bolts to the floor, so you need to grind the tack welds to get them loose.
    You may be able to get the mounts in and out without dropping the tank, so you could try it first, but keep in mind, you may need the room to work.

You should be able to leave the jack on the ground, just use the 4x4 to "extend" it, and use a 2x6 or something similar to spread the load on the body, just grab as much sheetmetal as you can when you lift it.

SW-ORD

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I plan to give it a shot this weekend.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm thinking I should have installed the 1" body lift when I did the shackle flip. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers