Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drider, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Drider

Drider Newbie

Alright guy's, i dont post here often but today is a start. Basically i have a 82 Jimmy that was past down to me and is pretty much my truck. It has a rancho 2 1/2 lift that was installed by my dad, has 33x12r15 bfg A/T, with 4;56 gears (for towing) , and a rear limited slip. It's awesome, has a fresh GM crate 350. What i want to do is raise it up higher! The thing is, it has brand new shocks! all 7 new shocks. I dont want to scrap those new shocks and put a new lift in it. What i was thinking is a body lift, i know body lifts aren't as good as suspension lift, but what about a 2 or 1 inch body lift? my concern is right now it sits the way i like, how the front end is higher than the rear of the truck. If i were to put a body lift, will it sit the same, front higher than the rear? or will it sit like a drag car, rear higher than the front? which i think is not right. thanks in advance - Darius

2. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

if you add a 2" body lift, your truck simply sits higher 2". If the front end is now higher than the rear, it will be same after the lift.

Btw, why must the front end be higher than the rear end? I prefer it opposit.

3. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I want to put a 1 inch body lift on my truck. Offroad design sells one for 75 bucks including all hardware. Im guessing with a 1 inch body lift you don't have to adjust linkages because its not that big of a step up. I may be wrong however.

~Brian

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You like the saggy butt look? I like it the opposite, drag style. Looks like its going fast sitting still. ;) :D

5. Drider

Drider Newbie

I seriously think it looks, dumb with the rear higher than the front. most or all raised up trucks, the front sits higher than the rear. Looks at the baja trucks, the front end is higher than the front. I can make up an explanation, when you go offroading, you hit the bumps first with the front end, so you want more suspension travel and ground clearance in the front. Also just the geometry, if or when you jump you want the front end to fly up in the air, not the rear end flying higher than the front end. that would be a "endo." i can somewhat relate, i have a honda atv, stock, the front tires are 21 inches, the rear are 20 inches. so it made the quad's front end sit higher, so when i jumped it it would "fly" and land better. Versus the rear being higher, it would "fly" like an jackass. lastly, thanks for your reply's

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well no offense, but no fullsize truck is designed to fly through the air and land smoothly.

But I do see that you are from LA and there are a lot of pre-runners out there so i guess i understand that a little better.

Just my personal opinion, it just kinda looks like the suspention is shot with the butt saggin.

7. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

i got the 1" body lift from ORD and am very happy with it.

plus the little daystar warning sticker the poly bushings come with (if you get those) is hilarious, stuck it on my truck like a bumper sticker till it finally wore off the last time i was out in the snow.

says something about this truck being modified and may ride different than a stock vehicle. Duh! nevermind the 1 tons or the 40's, watch out for those bushings.

8. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

if you want more suspension travel and ground clearance, you should better look for a 4 or even better 6" suspension kit with leafs all around and 35, 36 or 37" tires. A body lift does neiter provide you more ground clearance nor more suspension travel. A body lift does nothing improve, just makes more space for bigger tires.

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you do get a bodylift then I would suggest that you get all new body bushings also. don't waste your money on stock rubber ones. get a set of poly bushings. you only want to have to do the job once.

10. oll' bessy

oll' bessy Registered Member

not to hi-jack the thread but i cant resist this one. baja trucks, or trophy trucks, actually sit almost level when standing still. its the flare in the front fenders that makes them look much higher in the front. and the 650-850 HP makin them sqat. and they actually have more rear wheel travel then front wheel travel. 24-28 front and 32-36 rear. ok im done, sorry for the hi-jack :bow: