Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 12, 2001.

I am going to replace my body mounts soon and thought I would go ahead and do the 1" body lift. I just got a flatbed installed on the pickup and I think it would look best if the cab was lifted 2". I don't think I would want to go 3". I have only seen ORD's 1" body lift and then the 3" body lifts from other companies. Short of making my own pucks, does ORD offer a 2" body lift? The pucks have the bolt going through them - could I just stack two pucks to get 2"? Not sure how that would look and I'm not sure if that would be a safe solution. Any thoughts?

1969 C20 4x4
    4" lift, 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't recommend stacking them without welding them together. We can source a 2" kit for you, they use a reinforced plastic for them that I've seen cracked out before, so that's why we have the 1" solid AL kit. We have had some interest in a 2" AL kit and I can only assume it would be twice the price of a normal kit. In your case just doing a cab, it would probalby be about $70 or a little more for the pucks.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

2. Is the 2" something you could do now or is that when there is enough of a demand? I don't use my truck real hard but I would rather have something I don't need to worry about breaking. Here is a link to a pic of the truck with the flatbed - just looks like putting the cab a little higher would be better, plus give better front wheel clearance.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/bed/bed36.jpg>http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/bed/bed36.jpg</a>

1969 C20 4x4

3. Stephen

We don't keep material in stock to do it so it would require a little initial purchase to get running. Having enough orders to burn up more than 1 foot of material would sure help us out, so if anybody else wants a 2" puck, speak up!

SW-ORD

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am looking for 3 inch??

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Stephen, with your 1" body lift, do you have to do any cutting, etc. like you do with a 3-4" body lift?

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

6. Stephen

you have to trim the fan shroud, or otherwise deal with the clearance there. Mine was alreay broken on the bottom, we've seen trucks that would have been close to being ok due to the combo of motor, radiator and body mounts. Otherwise, there's not much to it. Shifters and linkages seem to work in most cases with just adjustment too.

SW-ORD

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Thanks Stephen, I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these, but didn't want to have that ugly "body lift look". As soon as I get that D44 flattop knuckle stripped, I'm going to ship that to you for machining. Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year to you and your family, Stephen! And again, thanks!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

8. The more that I look at the cab of my truck and where it is in relation to the top of the headache rack on the flatbed, the more I think I might really be better off with a 3" body lift. Kind of hate to go that high with a body lift, but I guess not really much different than if I go with the 2" body lift.

Anybody got any pros or cons on 2" vs 3" body lift?

I'm switching to an SM465 so I shouldn't have to worry about shifter linkage. I'm guessing something would have to be done to the steering shaft with a 3" lift, but I think I might be able to get by with no change of the shaft with a 2" lift.

1969 C20 4x4

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i wouldn't mind a 2". i was thinking of a 1" body lift and a set of 1" add-a-leaves.

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241