Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wfahlgren, Dec 17, 2001.

1. wfahlgren

wfahlgren 1/2 ton status

What are the pros and cons to body lifts? 2 Inch 3 Inch. A 3 inch body lift VS: a 2-4 inch suspension lift. Other than the cost?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The pro's of body lifts are that you can have more room for larger tires obviously, but besides that it keeps the center of gravity lower than if you did a suspension lift... The body lift will only raise the body off the frame.
    The suspension lift will raise the frame, engine, transmission, all the heavy stuff, which will make your rig more top heavy.

Theres several different ways to obtain a suspension lift, in most all cases you will have aftermarket front springs with a different arch or spring rate to give the the added lift.
    For the rear you could have springs, blocks, or a shackle reversal... I'm not going to go in depth on each one, but it depends on what you are wanting to do with your truck, what kind of wheeling, etc. Are you going to be jumping it, hillclimbing, mud boggin', rock crawling and getting it twisted up? It all depends on what you're after.
    my 2 cents for ya.

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

3. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

one thing ive always looked at with trucks with 3" body lifts is... what if it was in an accident and ONLY the body hit? it looks like TO ME that those super long body bolts would snap and your body would go flying...... someone please correct me if im wrong

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Jes,
    i went with a 2" body lift to put in onboard air tank and a larger gas tank(31gal) without having it hang too low. I am shooting for a total of 4". i am waiting for my 2" suspension lift. All i really needed was 1.5" of body lift but the 2" was cheaper. I would not go any higher than that. I've had no problems and it makes working on your truck/blazer a lot easier. i don't even have to open my hood up to change my sparkpluges[​IMG]

my 2 centavos.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Also, with the body lift you either need to lower the radiator or the fan shroud. The fan will hit if you don't.

FWIW, I am debating whether to go with a 4" suspension lift with a 1" body lift or a 6" suspension lift when I go to larger tires. I like the idea of the lower center of mass for a lot of reasons and I could then go to a low hump doghouse and gain a little bit of a better shot at my transfer case boot (because of the NV4500 I had to move the shifters back and the high hump is now kind of abrupt at the back; a low hump doghouse would fix that). The gaiting factor will be whether Skyjacker makes a 2" soft-ride rear spring or only makes a 4" as the shortest one. I want to do a shackle-flip along with the lift, so...

6. 71GMC4x4

71GMC4x4 Newbie

I have also heard that if you have a body lift, and you do alot of off roading(rough off roading) that eventually the lift blocks could break through your floorboards. That's just what I heard. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong.Thanks

7. BlzrProne17

BlzrProne17 Registered Member

That would make sense in a way. Your lifting the truck higher on those main points. I know a guy that had a "homemade" set of block consisting of hockey pucks. It's illegal by the way. Needless to say he saw some girls and stepped on it causing the blocks to shoot out and the body to land on his bueatiful 44" Boggers. He's got a good set of fender flares now. Lol. I'm going to take my truck and put a suspension lift on it due to the fact that I like the thought of my entire truck being lifted from the springs rather than those bolts. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
    Matt