Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1TUFF89, Jul 7, 2000.

1. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I know there have been several posts about suspension and body lifts, BUT here's one more. I am planning to install a 4" suspension lift within the next several months, and would like to also install a 1" or 2" body lift as well. I'm fully aware of the best suspension systems to buy such as Tuff-Country, but what about a good body lift? I don't guess the Energy Suspension body mounts are available in body lifts are they? What's a good name brand body lift to get?

Chevy's RULE!

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I know offroad design sells 1" body lifts. You can use energy suspension mounts with body lift blocks. But I think your question was, do they sell body mounts that are like body lifts, the answer is no. Performance Assecories is what I have. They're pretty well known and recommended for body lifting.
    Boss

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

What size susp. lift and body lift do you have? I know a 6" lift will give me more room for tires, but installing a 6" instead of a 4" really makes the center of gravity go up!
    I was planning on adding a body lift with the susp. lift so I could fit up to a 36" tire. What do you run?

Chevy's RULE!

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

4" Susp and 3" body lift. You can see my pic in the Featured Rigs sections of this website under "The Boss's 1975 Blazer. I run 35" BFG AT's. 36" will fit just fine with room to spare. But to tell you the truth, I might be ditching my body lift soon, maybe while I'm installing my energy suspension body mounts. Who knows though.
    Boss

5. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

How many body mounts are there, 8? Why are you considering getting rid of your body lift? Is the truck too "shaky"? Or are you just tired of it? I don't want to install one and then down the road wish I hadn't. Actually, I think 35" tires will fit fine with a 4" lift - as long as I don't do any hard wheeling??!!

Chevy's RULE!

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Black Diamond body lifts are really good, I ran one on my old truck. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a body lift alter the center of gravity more than a suspension lift?

89 K5 Silverado

7. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

uummmmm?? Well, I would think that instead of putting a 6" susp. lift and lifting the frame and all that a 4" susp. lift and a 2" body lift wouldn't raise it quite as high (or does 1 or 2 inches even matter that much)??!! I guess it depends on how much off-roading one does??!!

Chevy's RULE!

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't raise the frame, but I think the high center of gravity comes from putting space in between your frame and the body. Think of it this way.. When you take a sharp turn your whole blazer shifts, but the weight is still in close together. When you have a body lift and you take a sharp turn, you have the weight dispersed in 2 areas, underneath where the frame is, and up top where the body is.
    Well it makes sense to me [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Oh but go for the body lift anyway, I've owned several rigs with them, and they didn't affect me one bit.

89 K5 Silverado

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a 3"body and 4"suspension and haven't had any issues!
    I use Energy bushings and have 12 mounts, 6 per side.
    [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com