Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Mar 22, 2002.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I am looking to put 15 x 10 rims on my truck and I want to add a two inch lift to it. How hard is it to do if I wanted to do it by myself?

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm lookin at doin one myself. From what I've read it isn't all that hard, just need to plan. Do a search and you'll see what some others have gone thru with theirs. Soak down your bolts for a few days before attempting, I've some you just end up cutting off they got so corroded. You'll also find out what mods you'll need to make to your fan shrowd and possibly to the gaps you'll have in your bumper to body space. Good Luck!

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

A body lift is a piece of cake, but takes time. You can do it by yourself, but set aside a full day or even a weekend if it is your first time. You will need two jacks - I used a scissor jack out of another vehicle and a cheap floor jack. You will need some blocks of wood maybe some 4x4 wood post sections for support to get the jacks up high enough. Air tools are a BIG help, but not necessary. The kit will have pretty good directions, so follow them carefully. Lay out your new bolts before starting. Some are slightly longer than others. The first one I did, I installed the long ones in the wrong place, then the shorter bolts wouldn't fit. I had to re-do a lot of my work. LocTite is provided so use it.

Some of the bolts may be hard to get out, but new bolts are supplied with most kits.

The difficult parts are:

1. Shiter linkage: The shifter will have to be extended, and on my blazer a short section had to be welded in place.
    2. Fan Shroud: The fan shroud will have to be removed or lowered - not too hard.
    3. Gas Filler Hose: The gas filler hose usually has to be extended. This can be a real pain.
    4. Bumpers. Both bumpers will have to be lifted if you don't want your truck to look retarded. Especially the rear bumper. You have to be a little creative with this, but some kits come with brackets. Most don't.

I have only installed in 2" lifts - a 3" lift is a little more difficult because hoses, lines and wires have to be extended farther.

A body lift is a do-it-yourself project, but you have to budget enough time for the job.

Good Luck. Post Photos when you are finished.

4. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Adding a body lift is pretty easy as long as you can get all the bolts off. Soak everything real good with WD40 or any brand you like. Losen up all the bolts then remove the bolts from one side.Place a board on a floor jack and lift the one side enough to install the lift. Install the bolts but do not tighten them up. Then do the other side. Once finished tighten all the bolts up. While you are doing this keep an eye on shift linkage, wire's and hard lines. You should change out the body mounts while you are doing the lift.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im not sure if you researched a body verses suspension lift, but id think twice. I hate mine. the stress of the extra three inches on the mounting bolts seems to destroy everything. the mounts are all shot, and some of the bolts broken. i have a pickup, and there are only six body mounts holding me to my frame, and when one goes it is very noticable.

Ryan

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I swapped all the hardware that came in the kit for some grade 8 stuff. Strong as hell. I haven't had any problems with mine. You might want to try that if you're constantly breaking bolts. It'll cost you $30-$40 for all the hardware, but I think it's worth it. Hell even my shock mount bolts are stainless because I can't stand dealing with corrosion.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I agree, body lifts are cheap, but nothing but trouble. I have one on my truck(which it had when I bought it) and I hate it. I would take it off but it is too much work at this point.

It also causes gaps that you have to mess with and likely spend more money on to correct, and your shifters coming through the floor will be 3" shorter, and probably have to trim metal so they will work right. Also have to adjust linkage on the tranny if you have an automatic.

So how much $$$ have you actually saved when you are done? Not to mention all the work involved in installing the kit and then modifying everything thats is screwed up by it.

8. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Look into a suspension lift, 4 inches for $400. It's a no Brainer to do. Even any idiot like myself was able to accomplish a skyjacker lift in a few hours.