Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Jul 18, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Exactly how hard is it to put a 2" or 3" body lift on a 88 K5. I've got a 4" with 35x12.5 BFG tires and want it to sit a little higher without going to a 6" lift kit and modifying all kinds of lines, hoses etc. Any suggestions?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

A body lift will affect lots of stuff like bumpers,fan shroud,steering shaft,brake line support mounts,speedo cable,xfercase shifter,cluch linkage and more.
    This list is just what my brain was able to rember what had to be changed on my rig.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Damn Burt...old hand!!![​IMG] one posting muther[​IMG]huh? will require a welder or at least I needed one when I did the '77

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

LOL..WK
    Just kinda adds up afer a while. Been hear sence last summer and haven't left![​IMG] Beats working [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Ok, I JUST finished installing a 3 inch in my '85K5.It is not all that difficult .....The only modification I had to do was add 3" to my shift linkage. All my hoses and elec. wires were long enough ( one exception was my gas tank filler hose ...It fits but BARELY -I plan to replace it tonight). The only other problem is the bumpers will need to be lifted up 3" and there are NO aftermarket brackets made for this . Truthfully, the front bumper does not look bad at all but the back is quite ugly. I plan on leaving the bumper where it is and getting a body shop to weld in a piece of sheetmetal in the gap . Here's a couple suggestions.....If your truck has any amount of rust you had better start spraying the bolts with some penetrating spray!!!! Do one side at a time (DON'T unbolt the whole truck at once) Remove the rear springs that help close the tailgate as these hung-up on me and I ended up bending my lower lip on the tailgate. Remove the lower half of the radiator shroud BEFORE you start lifting and disconnect the steering shaft . The whole project took the better part of a day by myself but this was my second body lift and I LUCKILY had No rust on this vehicle . My first bodylift was a nightmare because EVERYTHING was rusted ......I ended cutting or drilling nearly every bolt. Any questions ??? Almost forgot ...Check with ESPEN88K5 (I think that's right ) He has a site with all the details even diagrams on how to raise the bumpers

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status