Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brownjoe, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Brownjoe

Brownjoe Registered Member

I recently lifted my body three inches and now I found my fan shroud to be useless. because the fan staying in place and the radiator moving up with the body. do you have any sugestions of how I may be able to corect the proble. Also, I am experiancing rear drive shaft problems due to the suspension lift. Please help a fellow wheeler. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'll try to help

My Fan Shroud is cut in half- and the top half is bolted on where it goes. Works for me, and keeps your arms from getting cut when you put them in the engine.

Driveshaft problems- what size lift? Did you corrrect the degree of the driveshaft angle? U-Joints going bad?

Brandy

3. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

If you drill holes in flanges of the shroud where it is stapled together. When you remove the staples you can put bolts with three inch spacers, your fan will pull the air better then it will without the shroud or just half the shroud.

Kirk

4. Brownjoe

the upper part of the fan shroud is still intac but the bottom half is the problem and since lifting the body it is running hotter. I believe the total lift is at about 6 inches without changing the angle of the drive shaft which is giving stress to the rear main seal on the tranti. your knowledge is well needed.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    your knowledge is well needed

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody ever said I had kowledge before !

I have a 4" suspension, 3" body and mine was running hot. Ended up having to replace my thermostat- along with the radiator.. it now sits just below 170. goes up to 180 kicks on fan, then comes right back down. Now this is my daily driver, it doesn't spend time on the trails. I'd think I'm probably getting more air sucked in due to that fact. I'm not sitting or crawling up a hill, I'm cruising down the road.

my lift was done by the previous owner, and he had the driveshafts corrected by a company here in Vermont. I haven't a clue what they did- but I think ORD makes something for this problem. I won't even guess what the name is of the product.

Are you hearing a nasty noise, or how do you know the angle is off? I ask because in the last 3 weeks or so, there have been NUMEROUS people posting about nasty noises myself included...some were figured out to be transfer case noises, while others were driveshaft, u-joint..then there is mine that is still a mystery!

good luck
    Brandy

6. Brownjoe

you sound to know what your talking about. I think I do have to replace my radiator it is old and full of rust with holes and smashed core sections. as for the lift, I think I foud a place here in town that can help. well I appreaciate your comments and suggestions they helped alot. thank you Brandy

7. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

All you need is to get a electric fan off a pre 91' cavalier or something similar(I got mine for $35), and attach it to the engine side of the radiator(try to get it as flush as possible), simply wire(atleast 12 guage) battery positive(red) to fan positive to incab switch to body(ground), fuse at 15 amp, and toss out the old fan shroud. Flip the switch on when driving slow or idling, and be sure to keep and eye on the temp guage. I went to the Silver Lake Sands Dunes in the hot 90 degree heat, with the electric fan running, it kept my truck and a nice consistant 180 degrees. If you are knowledgable about electronics: To make it more convient get a temperature switch, attach to block or outlet side of thermastat housing.

90' Suburban 4"sus/3"body 33's