Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cojnit, Oct 14, 2002.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I am installing a 3" body lift on a 76 3/4 ton pick-up. I am wondering if there is anything special I should be considering as I embark upon this mission. I have finished the bed already and am a little wary of starting the cab. Do I need to weld anything? Now see this would be a problem because of the lack o fwelding equipment and knowledge. Stuff like that is generally the info I am looking for.

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

The only thing i had to weld was the linkage that goes from the column shifter to the auto tranny.

3. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

any way around that as I have no weldability?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That one is easy, you can take it off and take it to anybody that can weld it for you.
    It's just a rod that needs to be lengthened the amount of your lift.
    Actually most trucks if you only go 2" or less there is enough length to just adjust it. with 3" and more you will need an extension.

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I added two inches of body lift, and it came really close to working if i put the adjuster at the VERY bottom of the linkage. But to be safe, i just added the longer piece. With 3", im pretty sure there wouldn't be enough room to move it down. You may be able to use JB weld if you let it set up properly, but i don't know if it would be the best idea. You could find a piece of tubing that was just a tad larger than the linkage, slide a piece over the cuts, and JB weld the piss out of it. Maybe somebody else here has a better non-welding idea. Is there a muffler shop near you? You could probably take it over there, already cut, and just ask if they could weld it together for you.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I bought myself a piece of steel long enough to completely make a new shifter lever, that way if I ever had to take the body lift off, i had the original to put back on.

[​IMG]