Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Jul 29, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I was planning on buying a 3 inch body lift for my 86' Blazer. I know I will have to lengthen the shifting linkages, radiator hoses, and T-case levers and mount a bracket to bring the bumper back to where it should be. Has anyone else put on a body lift before and what else I could have forgotten or am not informed of? Here is the link to the body lift I was going to get.
    Body Lift

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

need to trim radiator shroud

3. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

You will need to either cut the bottom part of the fan schroud off, or lenghten it. I fabbed up two pieces of metal as spacers and lenghtened mine but it took quite a bit of work since it will be needing trimming in the bottom part anyway to clear the radiator support and (in my case) the factory trans cooling lines.

I did not have to modify my radiator hoses or my t-case shifter. Maby that is individual but my instructions didnt mention that either.

Espen88k5's hompage has pics and instructions that i thought was quite helpful.

Good Luck!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Body lifts are way cheaper then suspension lifts, but in my opinion, the suspension lift is the much better way too lift a truck.

5. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    Body lifts are way cheaper then suspension lifts, but in my opinion, the suspension lift is the much better way too lift a truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be getting one of those as well but not right now, next summer maybe.

6. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    You will need to either cut the bottom part of the fan schroud off, or lenghten it. I fabbed up two pieces of metal as spacers and lenghtened mine but it took quite a bit of work since it will be needing trimming in the bottom part anyway to clear the radiator support and (in my case) the factory trans cooling lines.

I did not have to modify my radiator hoses or my t-case shifter. Maby that is individual but my instructions didnt mention that either.

Espen88k5's hompage has pics and instructions that i thought was quite helpful.

Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be getting one of those as well but not right now, next summer maybe.

[/ QUOTE ] I've thought about getting the ORD 1" body lift, and new poly mounts.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

DON'T DO IT! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Resist the temptation for cheap easy lift, its not worth it. It only helps with fitting tires, and you have to change so much stuff on the truck to make it work. I took my 3" off, trimmed the fenders and couldn't be happier. Rides a lot better on the trail and I didn't lose any actual trail capability from it.

9. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I would vote against trimming the shroud or making spacers for it. I would make new brackets to hold the shroud 3" farther down. The fan needs to be in the shroud a certian way to move air correctly. A big hole in the bottom of the shroud may not do it (trimming), or a big gap between the top of the fan and the shroud (spacer) may mess it up also. Not saying either of these don't work, people on this site do them and I don't hear them complaining, but it is just that it WILL decrease your cooling capabilites. I made new brackets for my lift. Click on my webshots thingy to see them. I still need something to cover up the gap though.

10. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    DON'T DO IT! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Resist the temptation for cheap easy lift, its not worth it. It only helps with fitting tires, and you have to change so much stuff on the truck to make it work. I took my 3" off, trimmed the fenders and couldn't be happier. Rides a lot better on the trail and I didn't lose any actual trail capability from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is ok because this truck will not be seeing a trail, any trails at all really. I planned on having one nice looking truck and one to wheel with. The 86' is for looks and the 80' is for wheeling. The 86 has a nice looking body, almost no exterior rust. Which is unheard of in CT. The 80 is rotted to [I love Jeeps] so that will be the one that hits the trails. Unfortunately it is far cheaper to build a nice looking fluff truck than an ugly ass one that CAN actually wheel.

Donations will be much appreciated for the ugly truck. LOL

I think I will call it save the truck with cancer foundation.