Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lifts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350blazer, Nov 18, 2003.

1. 350blazer

350blazer Newbie

I have a 1975 k5 blazer & I would like to know the pros & cons on body lifts for this blazer. Any feed back would be helpful THANKS. Eli

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pros:

Wheel clearance that is unchanging. No matter how much the suspension flexes, you will not lose that additional clearance. Does not change driveline angle like a suspension lift. Cheap.

Cons:

Puts more strain on body mounts. Can be a pain in the ass to install if bolts are rusty.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also looks like a hack job on older trucks, gaps all over that you CAN hide, but now your spending more time and effort on it, and it still looks like a hack job. Rear tailgate will not function right, have to disconnect the assist spring/tensions doo hicky's making the tailgate one heavy SOB. Have to screw around with radiator fan shroud if you do 2+ inches which will mean you will lose some cooling efficiency. You will also have to make changes to your shift linkage if you have an auto, or clutch linkage if you have a manual. There are other things/issues as well, that is just a few things that come to mind.

I had one, took it off, couldn't be happier. A lot less body flex and a more stabile feeling ride. Truck looks less hackish now IMO, excpet for the fender hacking of coarse /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So it may be cheap, but it is a hassle, looks stupid, and people like me will see you driving around and think "what a hack job" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif And that is the HONOST truth LOL

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am taking mine off, but only because I want to lose some height. It hasn't caused any ill issues.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Having done one, I wouldn't do one again. Sure, they are cheap, but you spend inordinate amounts of time making sure everything functions right after. You end up with radiator issues, and all kinds of hoses and lines that may need to be extended or re-routed. Plus I had to weld in an extension on my shift linkage, fiddle with my gas tank inlet, play games with my bumpers, and many other headaches. When it was all said and done, I'd do a suspension lift instead no matter the cost.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here as desert rat, they are a pain. It took a day and a half to get the stupid thing installed and it isn't easy to get to the last 2 bolts at the tank. I lost a considerable amount of fan efficiency and I still haven't dealt with cutting up both ends of the frame to lift the bumpers. I wish I would have spent the $$$ and just got a superlift 10 incher.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I wish I would have spent the $$$ and just got a superlift 10 incher.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on the body lift. I have a 1" ORD body lift and it gives me a lil more room for tire clearance but my tailgate still works and my linkages had to be adjusted but the stock ones work fine.

not to many negatives to the 1" bodylift IMO... though they can be a pain to install as tim said if the bolts are rusted to [darn]. Of course if they are... you should be replacing them anyway so... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

if you use a cheap jack while installing it....

[​IMG]

I have mine and yes it was a huge hassel, but I still like it, I don't have factory bumpers and I enjoy a little wild ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also plan to remove it after I get over the "I want to be the biggest truck at school syndrom" /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sure if you like springs that think there solid metal and don't have to move /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pros:

Wheel clearance that is unchanging. No matter how much the suspension flexes, you will not lose that additional clearance. Does not change driveline angle like a suspension lift. Cheap.

Cons:

Puts more strain on body mounts. Can be a pain in the ass to install if bolts are rusty.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said plus-
    1. Less total weight is lifted so the vehicle will not be as top heavy {all things equal}.
    2. If you do a one or two inch body lift, it not all that noticable.
    3. It will give more room to tuck stuff such as transfer cases and exhaust systems in. Maybe fuel tanks and other stuff, think creatively.

I have 3 inch body lift on my K5 and a 2 inch on a CJ5 that I had and would make use of a body lift on most any 4X4 that I would own. I think the best bet is a body lift in conjuction with fender trimming, a small spring lift and the body lift.

There really is not many drawbacks except that you are limited to 3 inches {1-2 inches if you do not want it to be noticeable}. Yes, you might have to do some fiddling to get everything right but hey,,,,,if you are worried about a bit of fiddling-you might be in the wrong hobby.

Plus, after 20 years of rain, mud, and the elements, the body mounts and the bolts will most likely need replacement anyway. Some of my bolts were so rusted that they were about half the diameter that they were when they were installed.

I have 2.5-3 inch springs {I think}, a body lift and aggresive fender trimming and no inner fenders and I'm almost happy with the way my 39.5 TSL fit. I will add zero rates and a smidge longer shackel to the front which will give me another 1.5 or so.