Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body man - please help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Khi5in, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

I've got an 86 k5 4wd all stock. We all know about these things being rot boxes, right. Well my question is. Is it eisier to replace panels or to get a complete body? The front cab is in good shape. What i want to do is possibly remove the hard top cut the weld from the cab to rear quarters, unbolt the body mounts and lift the whole bed(if you will) off the truck and replace it. Is this the best route to take or should i try to piece it together with new floor and body panels? I'm thinking this is much like removing a bed from a pickup except the quarters are welded to the cab but not quite sure. Any guesses or help would be good.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Piecing is much more work, and not to be a smart ass, but this is one of those questions that falls into the category of "if you have to ask, your not ready." /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's not an insult at all, we all have to learn, and there are many things all of us have yet to learn, but piecing a K5 tub to repair rot is not a "first project" type of thing for most people. It can be done, but the experience will likely be painful and costly (you also need a welder and skills or access to same). Also, the b-pillars are structural as well and require special effort.

Personally, I have the skills to do it (though they are 12+ years out of use) and a welder; and I would still do my best to find a full solid tub if at all possible. If your time is worth anything, the tub is usually cheaper than parts + work (also depends on where you live). Good luck...

3. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. I can do the removal and some of the welding, but the whole tub would be the best bet and eisiest going by what you say. This is not my regular driver so time is not the problem. I Saw the floor replacement article in the tech section and thought it might just be eisier to remove the whole tub if the only weld i have to cut is from the quarter to the cab.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check my pic's...been there done that!/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/56289905xFbwfK

It took me just under 40 hours on a weekend at work to do this. I don't recomend it, i would have done a full tub swap but couldn't find a decent one I could afford at the time.

Rene

5. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

great pics. Thats what I want to do. 40 hrs, lotta time but I got the time, Engine hoist a great help. got one of those too.Might try to find a whole tub but if I do its gonna turn into a full restore and a lot of cake!!!!

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I bought a 74 Blazer a few months ago and started working on it. After completely stripping it down and separating the body from the chassis, I stumbled onto another 74 Blazer for sale. I checked it out and found the body to be in excellent shape but the engine blown. I was able to pick up the second Blazer for $1500. I plan on using the second body on the first chassis that I've been working on. Much easier than cutting and welding. If you can locate a decent tub, I would go that route. The plus side is, I will combine all the parts I want on the one Blazer, and put back together the other Blazer to sell and recoup some bucks.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just to put that 40 hours in perspective, in case you don't know Rene (tRusty), he is a professional welder and a hell of a fabricator. Adjust those hours accordingly. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. tRustyK5

I had a 15 ton overhead crane with all the rigging I could use, 5 welding machines, grinders etc etc at my disposal. I work at a fab shop and was lucky enough my boss didn't mind.

I serioulsy would not recomend doing it this way...I sure wouldn't do it again.

Rene

9. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Rene (tRusty), he is a professional welder and a hell of a fabricator.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif aw shucks Russ... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

look at this picture below, every panel that is black is new, I did this at the age of 16 and would do it again but only as a last resort, I also in the process damaged and replaced new panels more than once, it is much cheaper and easier to just find a good body, I have seen many that are shells and cheap too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...look below, that isn't black paint that is the coating that comes on the panels, almoast 2500.00 for all of them plus 750.00 that were damaged and purchaced again..don't ask /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[​IMG]

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you want to do with the truck. Mine rarely gets driven on the road and when i am i am usually heading to the trail. So i didnt want to spend the time and money in doing a nice paint and body work job. If you want a nice looking "show quality" job do the whole body but if a little imperfection doesnt bother you just the back can be done! I had less then a week of evenings in mine but then again i almost care how straight and rust free it is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take a look and the new flat black paint in my pics page /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif