Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mods and other custom stuff...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1badgmc, May 9, 2000.

1. 1badgmc

1badgmc Registered Member

Ok, now that I know we have a few guys that linger around and read this forum, what kind of body mods or other custom things are you doing to your Blazers?

Since I just built a '91 GMC 1500 sportside with a 5/8 drop, shaved taillights, shaved rear steps, shaved tailgate handle and antenna, molded roll pan, 17" wheels etc, etc, my '84 Jimmy will be built for the street, albeit much milder than the pickup. After I move the body over to the '82 2wd frame with a '91 Suburban front crossmember/suspension, I'm putting a 5.5/6 drop on it, '91 GMC Sub grille and '90 Celebrity headlights, and a '97 Vortec 350 engine and transmission. As far as body mods, I'm just going to fill in all the trim and moulding holes, weld in a filler in the middle of the tailgate and shave the window handle. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of mirrors I'd like to run to get rid of the stock chrome things. Any ideas there?

Let's here what ya got!

Jason

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I like the looks of the lowered street trucks, but I'm going the Prerunner route on mine, I just got my flared fiberglass front fenders. I need to get the grill conversion and associated parts. I like the '91 style but haven't seen any I can afford yet. Keep us informed!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Do you mean the fenders with the larger openings? If so lets see some pics, I am thinking about these.

Steve

4. 1badgmc

Where have you been looking for the '91 grille stuff? In the back of magazines like Truckin' and Sport Truck they have ads selling the whole update for around $650-700, but those are aftermarket parts. I got everything (excluding headlamps) brand new GM from a buddy in my club for $585 after tax. I just have to find the best deal I can on a pair of '90 Celebrity headlamps and get all the pigtails. GM wants $235 each for those. I've found some aftermarket ones for $106, but am still looking for a better deal.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Steve,

All I have a picture of is the '73-'80 style. I bought the '81 style, but I don't have pictures yet. http://glassworksunlimited.com has some nice bolt on styles. They also have a '91 conversion for the older trucks. The White Lightning Blazer on my site has a similar style conversion. From some angles it looks a tad odd to me and it's about $600. Thanks for the '91 style grill info gmc!

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. dbreiz

dbreiz Registered Member

SOUNDS LIKE A NICE RIDE.
    I OWN A 76 BLAZER THAT I'M WORKING ON. IT'S FULL CONVERT.(WE CUT THE TOP) WITH ABOUT A 6/8 DROP(COILS,SPINDLES,SHACKLES,FLIP KIT AND HANGERS).IT SITS ON 17" BOYD MONTAGES RIGHT NOW BUT ONCE IT HITS THE SHOWS IT'LL BE ON 20'S.IT WILL ALSO HAVE A FULL FRONT/REAR AIRBAG SETUP. WE ARE ALSO GOING TO BODY DROP IT 3".IT ALSO HAS A 91' FRONT END SETUP WITH A FULL "DIAMOND" PHANTOM GRILL.SHAVED EVERYTHING(HANDLES,LOCKS,LIGHTS,TAILGATE,ETC.).
    94 CHEVY FRONT COMPOSITE LIGHTS,ROLL PAN,SMOOTHIE BUMPER,FULL TWEED INTERIOR,ASTRO BUCKETS,BILLET INTERIOR ACC.,WE'RE HOPING IT BE DONE BY AUGUST.AS FOR YOUR MIRRORS,
    USE THE 91' BLAZER/SUBURBAN POWER MIRRORS.GOOD LUCK

8. 1badgmc

Hey, dbreiz, sounds like you're building a killer ride! :) I was going to get some Montages for my '91 until Boyds went bankrupt. What kind of 20's you gonna run, or have you decided yet? Sine mine will be a daily driver, I'm not going crazy with the shaving other than the holes and smoothing out the gate, but once I get out of college and get my good paying job, I plan to go all out and shave it, bag it, get some 20's and maybe paint it the same 1990 Miata blue as my '91. For now, I'll just leave it black with 15" rallys. Is your phantom front end the Chevy grille? I'd like to see a phantom for the '91 GMC grille like I bought. How do those '94 headlamps work out? I have a pair that I took out of my '91 since I ordered some projector beams for it. I wasn't sure if they'd work right or not because of the steeper angle of the late models and their headlights. I would have thought that the lights would be aiming towards the center of the road instead of straight ahead, that's why I was leaning toward getting the '90 Celebrity lamps. I have been leaning toward the '91 Sub power mirrors, but the problem there is being able to find some. I have no plans of paying dealer price for them, and I just can't find them anywhere around here.
    Keep us updated on your progress.

9. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Michael, What brand of fenders did you get? And where and approx how much? I am also doing the pre-runner style, and I want big tires w/o the lift and this looks like it may be a good option.

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian, I got a set of Glassworks Unlimited fenders. The style I got is a little old, they are not bolt on, but require a little fabrication for mounts. They sell a nice bolt on set for about $300. That may sound a little high, but they are very heavy duty 'glass. They look very similar to the fenders on the "Blaze of Glory" Blazer on my web page. You can also buy them from DonahoeRacing and several others. Glassworks makes a nice set though. Where are you in OK....I'm just down in Sherman.....maybe we can hook-up and share plans!

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The mirrors on the cover truck of the LMC Blazer catalog look cool, but I dont know what they are off of.

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

12. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Mirrors, etc...

Jason, the suburban mirrors are nice, but not on a lowered Blazer. They look good on a lifted truck, but the seems to grow larger when you drop one. I saw one at Texas Heat Wave last year, and they looked VERY BIG. Those on the LMC truck are F@rd mirrors. I suppose they wouldn't cause your truck to rust, but they might make it run slower:)

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Speaking of the LMC cover truck, what kind of bogus bowtie on the grill is that?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

14. D2Customs

D2Customs Registered Member

Hey N2TRUX...

Those wheels are freakin' badass. I know one time you said you were putting 18's on it. So is that 18's in the front and 20's in the rear?

Later
    Danny

http://d2customs.coloradok5.com

15. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Not in the pics...

The (blurry)shot of the 20's doesn't show the 18's on yet. That is still the 17" Budnik Mercury 5's. The 18's had a problem fitting over the hub. It seems I have H.D. 1.25" brakes on there, and Budnik didn't allow for that. The 17's on it in most of those pics are off my 97 1/2 ton crewcab.They look pretty good, but I really wanted BIG wheels, and the backspace is way wrong on the rear. I needed something to roll on because the 15's wouldn't clear the caliper with the dropped spindles, so that's what you see. I wanted to put Torque Thrusts on it but everone I know beat me to it, so I had to go with those ugly old Famosa's ;)...

16. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status