Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body & motor mounts?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGV72BLAZER, Mar 8, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i was wondering who sells a complete poly body mount kit for a '72 Blazer?? i'll be needing one very soon & i might as well replace it since most of the old bolts from the body mounts that i removed and rubber bushings were sharded anyway. :eek1: i also know some of you guys have done the big step up to a BBC & was wondering where i could find some quality motor mounts to put a 454 in my '72?? i wish i could run ORDs mm, but have heard they'll ony work on the 73&up GMs :mad: i have found early classic's complete body mount kit but have been meaning to call to find out if it uses poly or rubber mounts & i also found some killer motor mounts but i just can't remember where i saw them. oh well...any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I used Energy Suspension poly body mounts. They claim the black ones are impregneted with polygraphite to fight off the 'poly squeek'. I replaced all my bolts by going to OSH and getting new bolts/washers and nylon locking nuts.
    The key to poly is do NOT over tighten the mounts. If you squeese the poly it will not flex at all. Just get the mounts tight but not squeezed.

I used ORD mounts on my BBC but I also swapped in a 73+ SBC crossmember/frame horns.

3. RGV72BLAZER

that's what i had thought about doing also. i had though about getting a 73&up xmember and horns, but wasn't sure if it would work on my first gen. hmmm, so then it will? thanks for the input. now i gotta start looking for one

4. RGV72BLAZER

so any x-member off a 73+ chevy will work? any one work better than the rest or all the same?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

As far as I know any 73+ 4x4 SBC truck/blazer crossmember will work.
    Here is were I got the idea from.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see how the crossmember runs infront of the pan not under it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This image is kinda dark from all the black paint but if you stare at is long enough you can see the ORD mounts and crossmember.
    It was a very tight squeese but it does fit.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I guess I stared too long.....I ended up seeing a sailboat, and some dogs playing poker.....

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Put down the pipe Greg:haha:

8. 9mpgsux

9mpgsux Newbie

I'm also replacing the body mounts on my 72- most are pancaked, while some are completely gone! I'm going with Energy Suspension's kit- anyone have any hints or tips- other than pre-loosening the bolts with some form of release agent?

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I did mine I found that only 5 out of the 12 mounts were actually conntected:eek1: one bolt was so worn from rattleing around it looked like a pincel.
    Anyway I had to grind, pound and beat out the old bolts..so the brake free juice probly won't do much..
    Good Luck

10. RGV72BLAZER

so if i can run a 73+ up x-member why not just run an ORD x-member?? they're pretty beefy & i'd like to beef up my K5 wherever i can right now that i have it apart. but i've heard they can't be used...what gives?? btw where'd you get the idea pic from...letters are too small for me to read...

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I did my swap the ORD crossmember had not been created yet. THe ORD crossmember bolts to the frame and the frame horns for a 73+ engine mounting setup. Our first gen does not use the frame horns (the part the engine mounts bolt to). So I would guess you need the horns and the ORD crossmember.
    Keep in mind the ORD crossmember looks like it goes under the pan instead of forward...the crossmember would need to be unbolted to get the pan off.
    Nice crossmember, looks tuff!

12. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Visions

Actually, first I saw butterflies, then I saw a metallic green firewall and low and behold, his big block was in my Jimmy!!!:haha: :haha:
    I've been in the workshop to many hours. Is that possible?? No way

13. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

What is OSH?

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Orchard Supply Hardware ~ local hardware store chain...just like a Ace Harware store.

15. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks

16. RGV72BLAZER

Burt:
    you have a part # for those energy susp bushings? or is it on their site?

as for the ORD x-member the only downside is that you have to pull the x-member off to remove the pan, & on the 73+up org. x-members you don't? did you have to drill some new holes for the x-member that you put in?

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No part numbers sorry...that was like 10yrs ago:D
    The original 73+ crossmember runs infront of the pan (cross over & high steer clearance issues is why the ORD x-member comes in handy) not under it (72 style or ORD style). Although I have not tried yet it looks like the pan should come out with out touchin the x-member. But if I have to I can unbolt it. Yes new holes had to be drilled in the frame. Two of the original X-mamber holes are used but the rest have to be drilled.

18. RGV72BLAZER

yea i've already looked thru the energy susp website & found 'em. i may just end up using the ORD x-member & mounts...we shall see. thanks for the input Burt

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ORD engine mounts & 73+ X-Member

Well while I was snapin a photo fer YJ I got some better pics of the mounts..well different angle anyway:
    [​IMG]
    Pass Side
    [​IMG]
    Damn..this photo sucks..oh well driver's side.
    [​IMG]
    See the front is way forward...but not as strong and not good for steering mods..I may switch to the ORD deal....I have already welded a crack I found, before the BBC, it was unnoticable at first when I got the member for free, Then after the install I saw the crack and welded it. Now I'm thinkin of going with ORD for shear streangth...if I need to remove the pan the member will come right out...

20. RGV72BLAZER

damn it Burt why you gotta get me all riled up & sh!t with that BBC :bow: