Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mount Bolt Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfotyme, Dec 13, 2004.

1. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

I'm in the process of replacing the body mounts on my 74 K5..I've read all the threads..Gained alot of input (thanks) and heard alot of war stories. I just want to know if using an Impact Gun is the best way or if using a breaker bar is the way to go..I've been spraying PB Lube every night for the last week. I'm tring everything I can to not rip up my new carpet..I just finished installing my roll cage and interior..I never thought about the threads breaking loose until I read other peoples war stories.Now I know..So, IMPACT GUN or BREAKER BAR....

2. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

I just put a 1"ORD body lift and poly bushings on my 84 K5 and 3 out of the 10 mounts gave me hell. Used an impact to take mine out and the other 3 just a lot of patience :grind: :weld: :hack: . Good luck....but the K5 will drive so much better when you are done :D

3. firejunky

firejunky Newbie

I used a inpact on my body bolts. I have a 73 k-5, I soaked them with some PB max and about 5 min. later took the inpact and they all came right out. Good luck with everything.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If the truck came from a rust area... good luck. They will probably break no matter what you do. Or you might get lucky. I just went with an impact.

The Blazer I used for my build was a Georgia body and frame. Body bolts were a breeze to get off.