Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount bolt spins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Jun 14, 2006.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am putting in poly mounts. I got all of them loose except the ones right in front of the rear bumper. On one I got the whole bolt spinning in the floor. Do I need to grind the Herc. off and weld it up to keep it from spinning? Also on the other one I can't get the socket on. There is a metal piece around the bolt not letting the socket go on. I figure I will just get out a hammer and see if I can get the socket on with a little force. Does anybody know what that metal is connected too? TIA.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

3 of mine did that. one was loose enough I could get on with vise grips. The other two I had to spot weld to the floor.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since you are in Pensylvania, I am not surprised you are having a problem getting the body mount bolts off. The bolts are screwed into a nut, which is held in place by a sheetmetal cage. Often times what happens, in rust belt states (like pensylvania), is that the bolt is rusted, and will not unscrew from the caged in nut. Since the cage is only made of thin sheetmetal, the cage often bows out, and the nut just spins inside the cage. When this happens, you have to cut out the sheetmetal from the floor of the cab, to get at the body mount bolt and caged nut.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i believe that the metal hold the nuts that are for the bumper side brace.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I might live in the rust belt but my K5's are pretty much rust free. My Daily driver 90 was a Texas truck untill 2002. The built one has very little rust by Pa standards. Most was probably my fault, I didn't spray them with PB before hitting them with the impact. All the other ones came right out except the very back 2.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'll have to look closer. It was a little hard seeing in the holes of the frame with no flashlight.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well I got them all out and only one spun. What sucked is having to weld it then cut the weld to pull it out only to have to weld it back in when finished.:crazy:

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm curious, Is it a carriage bolt? with the head in the bed floor, and the nut under the truck? IIRC mine were that way, but I replaced them a long time ago with regular bolts. If you see a big round head on the bed floor turning roundy roundy with the impact on the nut underneath, grind the head off.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yep, it is a carrage bolt. Already fixed the problem.