Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mount Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the size and lengths of the body mount bolts? I'm pulling the body lift off of my 79 K5 and put it back down where it belongs. I just need to know what size the bolts are so I can get some new Grade 8 Bolts.
    Thanks, Jeremy

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

all the kits use grade 5.. I believe 5 "stretches " better than 8... even though weaker in shear

3. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Bolts

Grade 5 is fine but I just need to know what size and length they are. Anyone know this?

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of the best ways to find out for sure is to take the bolts off of just one side, and measure them (then go out and buy ones that are however many inches longer as the body lift). That is what I did for the 1" body lift I just installed yesterday on my 1985 K30 Dually. That being said, the factory bolts on my K30 pick-up where 5" for the radiator support, and the main cab bolts where 3 1/2" long. I am not sure if a K-5 uses the same size bolts, but with the way Chevy does things, I would not be surprised if they where. Go for Grade #8. They are cheap enough, so why not. I bought all the Grade #8 bolts for my truck for ony $16. The Grade #8 bolts for your K-5 will probabaly be only about $25 or so.