Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount bushing troubles, the rear two...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I used energy body mount bushings kit and all went on great but the rear two. I cant get the bottom bushings on, im talking about the bushings that sit under the frame. I got the tops on between the body and frame but because the frame is in the way I cant get the bottom part of the buishing and bolt on.. Has anyone else had this problem? I also think that the stock bolt is too short, I mean it barely sticking out, how the heck am I going to fit the bushing and nut on there??

Heres a picture

[​IMG]

2. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

Looks like that bolt may have snapped when you wrenched it off. You may have to get some new longer grade eight bolts and some washers.

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

That is a new bolt. I replaced it after I grinded and tapped out the old bolt. Im just curious if anyone had trouble getting the last two body mount bushings installed?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't view the pics here at work, but you need to pull the tank to get to those(K5). There is an "assembly" that is held in place with the bumper bracket to frame bolts which also holds the bottom portion of the mount.

I used energy as well, and recall that I had to modify that bracket a bit to make the new bushing fit.

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Damn, hmm would it be a bad idea to just stick a fat washer up there and just bolt it up? I guess If went that far to replace all the body mount bushings why not take the extra step and do it right....:confused:

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Like dorian said, there is a braket it's square and it has a built in nut so you can bolt it from inside without someone holding the nut from the bottom.
    If you ground that out then you probably have no choice but to use a washer and nut and have someone help you with it.
    Or get that braket.
    I am soon cutting up my 76 blazer, not much left of it and i could send you those brakets for the price of shipping, if that is what is wrong here. :D

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I ground down the old original bolt heads because they were very rusted and couldnt get the old nut off so I ground the heads off and tapped them out. I got brand new squar head bolts that lock into place on the body just like the originals, they are the same length and everything. everything is in place just like the original, I have the body mount bushing on (between the frame and body.

The problem is, is that I cant get the last too bushings in place, im talking about the bushings that are suppost to sit above the nut and washer underneath the frame. I cant get them in place because there is no place for them to slide in. as you can see in the picture the only access to the bolt is through that small hole on the frame, the bushing is too big for it to get in there.

Im thinking either these last two bushings are just extras in the energy package I got and that I dont need them or I do need them and need to pull the tank to get them in place (that might be the only access). I just need someone to verify if this is what I need to do, I will have to get longer then the original bolts as well for this to work. Did you guys have to get longer bolts? The original length bolts wont go thorugh the new energy bushing/washer and nut, they are too short (as you can see int he original picture above) If this helps, the number ont he bushing is 4037..

I hope you guys are following me..

Here is a picture of the bushing being to big to fit in that frame hole.

[​IMG]

and a picture of the bushing/washer/nut as its suppost to mount up. (even the washer wont fit)

[​IMG]

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Like I said, you have to pull the tank. You can't get those bushings in without the tank coming down. There is no way to get your hands or the parts in there around the tank, and IIRC, that bushing can't be installed without access to that bracket.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Like Dorian said you HAVE to drop the tank to get to it.