Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body mount bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jan 17, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

those that have had to replace all these bushings, how long did it take, how many are there
    and was it a difficult, or just time consuming task, and did it make a noticiablr improvement??
    my look terible, all cracked and flattened out
    guess its time
    thanks
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

The hardest part is getting the bolts off. Make sure that you soak them with real WD40 or PB blasterl. It took about 3 hours to get my changed. I used Energy Suspension POLYURETHANE body mount kit. I think there are 10 Five on each side. I dont know if there is any difference between years. I have a 73.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Considering doing this on my 76 too. From what I've learned from these guys is DO NOT use and impact on the bolts. Treat them nice. The big problems come in if you have rust around the TOP of the bolt-inside the cab. The top of the bolts are tack welded to the body and if the body around them is rusty it can tear the body so then you end up welding in new sheet metal to repair the hole.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I did it on a 76 and a 73 truck with no problem.
    I hear on the k5's the worst part is the bolts in the back being inaccessible dur to the gas tank. Gotta be removed.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup the rearward ones may require you to drop the tank, but that's not bad either ........ Luckily I had this done while replacing the whole rear floor and tailpan.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

There are holes in the frame so you can get your deep socket and extension for the back mounts. SHouldn't need to drop tank.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

could you tell a difference?

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i COULD tell a difference after i put in the ES poly mounts. Definately felt a little firmer, and you had more "road feel" caus ethe poly mounts dont give as much.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How exactly do you reinstall the new mounts? Is it as simple as undoing the bolt, pulling the old ones out, sliding the new ones into place, and then tightening them up?

I would think there would be a little more to it than that.....

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

loosen them all, undo one whole side, and jack up that side of the truck till you can remove all the mounts. install the new ones and then switch sides. dont torque anything till they are all done and sitting level. NOTE- the radiator mounts (position 1) are different, they are a long bolt with the nut on the bottom, as opposed to the shorter bolts that thread up into the captured nuts in the body (pos. 2&amp;3) . Positions 4&amp;5 are bolts that come thru the floor near the gas tank. These are a pain cause they are 1) hard to get to because of the tank, and even more of a pain if you have a reciever hitch, and 2) they are tack welded to the floor from the topside. I'd suggest grinding off the tackwelds, and pulling them to make thing easier.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

when you put a body lift on do they replace the old mounts or do you put them and the body lift on? i need new body mounts but if they replace them ill just get a 1in bodylift[​IMG]

wheeling pics

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks Matt- that makes more sense.......One more question - How and where do you jack up the body? And how do you brace it safely so you can work without worrying about your hand getting crushed?

Sorry for all the questions, brother.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck felt better - maybe cuz mine were blown out!

Do the 1" body lift at the same time!!!

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 96C4and91K5 on 01/17/02 09:10 PM.</FONT></P>

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You'd need both, the bushings are different heights so if you pulled them all out and just did a body lift you wouldn't have anything line up, atleast on the 77 I have they wouldn't cus the middle body mount is 3" tall and the others are only a 1" or so.

Any know a good price for the whole Body bushing set up..I need it to get the body on.I see Summi thas them for $50 something and LMC has them for a little more and I need a cheap complete kit, bolts too.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thanks for the info[​IMG] i also need a compleat set just dont need the bolts lol

wheeling pics

16. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i jacked it up using a floor jack and a big piece of 4x4. I actually jacked in 2 stages, one at the front and one at the rear, but ive heard of people doing it with one lift at the center of the truck using a wood " T " to spread the lift load.

theres really no worry about getting crushed, i never had my hand in a position to be crushed. When the bolts come out, the upper and lower bushings should separtate (in theory) and just lift up and pull out the side. you can do all this without being in danger of crushing anything. Mine were so bad that i didnt have to worry about separating the old bushings even, the lower ones were all but totally rotted away.

Hey, any way i can help just let me know.

-matt

17. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

18. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I said this before, but I'll say it again. If anyone wants to change bodymounts, especially from rubber to poly, go with Daystar, not Energy Susp. I used ES on my older truck and the mounts I got from them seem to be much firmer and stiffer, thus, I really felt a difference in the ride....although, it did reduce some body roll.
    However, Daystars, seem to be much, much softer. I don't feel too much difference in my ride after swapping out from rubber to poly, when I used Daystars, if any, they are very minimal. Steve Fox, just did this on his truck, and I know he used Daystars. Maybe PM and ask him if he noticed any difference in the ride.
    But this data is from my own personal experience.
    I also purchased a set of Daystar poly Tranny mounts and they seem to be sooo soft as well. I never held the ES tranny mounts though. (I have not installed the poly tranny mounts yet though.)
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you notice a decrease in creaking and such that you know are body panels shifting and warping, after the swap to poly? I know it works in the car I have because the body is basically stiffer than parts of the frame, but I'm not sure how 'strong" the truck frame is...theoretically, if the body is very "stiff" and you use poly bushings, it would help prevent frame flex.

I plan on doing the poly ones eventually, just curious if it will "tighten up" the truck as I expect it to.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

20. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

I am not positive but I think that Daystar makes replacement mounts with a 1" lift built in to the new mounts.You would have to call and ask though

'87 Full Size.Holley TBI.