Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body mount condition

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this will give you an idea of what is holding your rig together. this is from an 86 that is super clean with no body or floorboard rust what-so-ever. i did not expect the corrosion to be this bad. it has eaten about 20% of the bolt diameter away...
    [​IMG]

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have worse bolts than that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I do live on the East Coast /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's nothing compared to what I've seen. Thank god I've got six new cab mounts on mine.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

mine have got to be much worse im in ontario canada, its gunna be real bad i dont even want to look. (just got truck) guna get a small body lift kit to remady it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Mine don't look like that....Oh yeah, that is because I replaced all that stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My core support bolts are the only ones that looked like that. Actually any I take apart up here, those are usually by far the worst.

When I did my body mounts, I took all of the cup washers that hold the mounts in place, and drilled two holes in each, where the water would gather. (lowest part of the "cup") I ground two small channels from the center to the holes I just drilled, both to allow water to "flow" under the actual body mount cushion. Those things rust out because water gets in them, and with the "seal" at the base of that cupped washer, the water just sits in there.

Yes, I may be anal, but with poly body mounts, and an almost rust free body, I don't intend, plan or hope to ever have to see those bolts again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif