Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mount Hardware Question on 1975 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B75k5, May 18, 2003.

1. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

I am trying to replace my body mounts....first time attempting to do this type repairs so please don't tell me to search for answer, I have tried and can't locate one.
    Question: If I need to replace bolts on position 3 and 4 (last two bolts in rear, both sides) do I need to access them from inside cab? Reason I ask is because a couple of other bolts (radiator and position #1) had to be replaced. I haven gotten to the last two positions in rear yet but I can't see how to access head of bolt from under blazer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Harry, Escondido, Ca /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

For the very back, you will have to drop your gas tank a bit. You can put a jack under it and lower it down enough to reach between the frame and the tank to access the top mounts and take them off the frame. You have to use an extension on your ratchet to get to the nuts first which are up in that hole in the back part of the frame. If you don't have your bumper off, it can be a pain. If the bumper is off, you will see it quite easily. The second to last position also has the nut on the bottom. Some Blazers have the original bolts that are rounded on top and fit into the squared holes which keep them from turning in the sheet metal/bed at the last two positions. They are under the carpet in the bed. If they have been replaced before, they might be regular bolts with hex tops. On the first 74 I bought, the guy had done a body lift so they were hex bolts. On the second 74 I bought, the original bolts were in place but tack welded to the bed. I had to grind the tack weld out. I bought a DayStar replacement kit in stock height. The kit says to use the original bolts. However, I found that in the last two positions, which are the ones you are working on, I had to go and buy new bolts. The stock bolts weren't long enough for the new Daystar polyurethane bushings despite the instructions saying to use the originals. I went and got four new bolts, each set about an inch longer than the stock ones that I took to compare at the store. Then I used lock nuts to secure them.

3. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Sent you personal E-mail thanking you for info that I really needed. Again thanks for you input. Harry /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif