Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My brother is having a hard time getting one of the body bolts out of his truck. Its the rear one on the passenger side near the rear of the frame. His truck looks to have a 1" body lift with aluminum pucks. The body bolt will turn, but it doesnt come out (or up from the body for that matter) at all. When we turned the bolt, the aluminum puck truned with it. So he put a pipe wrench on the puck and the bolt wont budge. Even with a 1/2" wratchet and a cheater bar. How does it come out? Im pretty sure it just unscrews but it wont. Could the aluminum puck have threaded itself or seized to the bolt? He lives 2 hours away from me so I cant look at the truck directly...
    -Harrison

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, its probably seized to the puck. Best chance of getting it out w/o getting out the torch is probably an impact gun. If you van spin it fast enough, you might be able to break it loose. Else, just cut it off.
    Hope that helps...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have had the nut in the floor come lose from the floor. if so you need to cut hole in floor from in the cab to hold the nut and heat it also.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

been there!

My 74 K20 had a home brew 3" body lift made of 3" square solid aluminum ingots someone scored ...I only succeded in removing ONE of the 4 bolts intact..the rest were electrolisized right into the aluminum blocks,had to cut them with a sawsall,I was able to sneak the blade under the cab mount between the block by jacking the cab up with a floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood..had to chop the nut out of the floor too..ended up doing the entire cab floor over,and making new cab bushing mounts..I used bumper jack bases for the cab mounts!..they NEVER rusted again!..:D

After I got the blocks out,even a BFH and my 18 lb sledge couldn't budge those stuck bolts!..I wanted to scrap the aluminum,but its worth squat with steel bolts imbedded into it..:doah:..even aluminum "rots" up here,it turns white,and cream of wheat forms on it..them it gets brittle and snaps!..:(