Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1982blazer, Mar 27, 2007.

1. 1982blazer

1982blazer 1/2 ton status

My passenger side front body mount is loose, and i am having trouble tightening it. At first just stuck a wrench on it and tried to tighten it up and it wouldnt even turn. So my question is do i need to cut a whole in floor to get the other end of the bolt, btw i did spray it with pb blaster and it still won't budge. Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been covered before.

100_0130.JPG

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could try a little heat first then maby a longer wrench, it may break loose or may break off, but its worth a shot, if it breaks you will be cutting the floor open anyways

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It won't tighten, but will it loosen? You might get lucky and you can work it back and forth. Probably nice and rusty in there.

4. 1982blazer

So will i have to cut a hole in the floor no matter what to get this body mount tight. And i cant get the bolt to turn either way.

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I used a dewalt impact gun and man, I got alot of dirt in my face but they all came out and wnet in no problem. My truck is a rust bucket but that impact gun really made a difference. Do you have access to a impact gun?

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The bolt goes into a captured nut, so there is really no benefit to cutting a hole in the floor big enough to get a wrench in because there is nothing to put that wrench on. However you can drill a small hole in the floor over the bolt so you can spray it down with PB Blaster and actually soaked the rusted part...spraying from the bottom won't get the lube onto the part that needs it.

In any case, an impact gun can really make the difference.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So how loose is this thing?

On some trucks I've owned I had loose body mounts, but not because the bolt needed tightened. The rubber mounts were just worn out. If I remember correctly, there was a metal tube coming down from the upper mount that the bolt was tightening up against, preventing it from getting any tighter even though the rubber mount was still loose.

8. 1982blazer

It's realy loose, in the picture im pushing the mount up to where it should be. all right thanks guys ill just keep at it and ill get it tightend some how.

9. 1982blazer

No i don't have an impact gun but i will fugure something out. And at least i know i don't have to cut a hole in my floor.:doah: