Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigwishlist, Jan 20, 2003.

1. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

Is the front cab mount welded to the floor pan? The part that goes on top of the rubber body bushing. When I got my K5 the support was rusted beyond repair so I tryed to make my own. When I installed the bushing it saged when I put the vehicle weight on it. Any ideas? Or anyone do anything like this on there truck? Pics or links would be great. Thanks.

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Add a spacer like this rusted out body mount. Its just a pipe and some washers.

Body Mount

Or you can get even more creative and make your own mount, I did this because the rear end of my truck is hopeless. Thats MIG welds without gas so dont laugh.

Silly Mount

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. bigwishlist

Can I rigitly mount my cab to the frame? Or will my window crack the first time I flex the frame? I dont care about a little rough on road ride. Just dont want to brake or put to much stress on stuff.

4. bigwishlist

I havent been able to find any pics of trucks with body mounts shown. So I still dont know if I can solidly mount the body to the frame.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just did my '86, so if they aren't similar, sorry. The "cab" mounts both just rest on the body. On the front ones (under the driver/passenger) the spot is where two of the reinforcing ribs of the body meet. The "pad" on the frame (on mine riveted) is what holds the body mounts in place.

The upper pads in those two locations (and the core support) have upper halves that somewhat resemble mushrooms. Metal top against the body, which continues through the center of the bushing. The rubber surrounds the center of the metal piece, and rides on the frame perch. The lower half is held in place with a "cup washer", which typically holds water, and helps everything rust out there.

I believe yours might have a slightly or entirely different setup, just based on year differences.