Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mount Torque Specs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scubahard, Dec 2, 2004.

1. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

I am replacing the body mount bushings on my 1981 K1500 pickup. Could someone help me out and tell me how much I should torque the body mount bolts to? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I replaced my factory rubber body mounts (with polyurethane) I tried to find the body-mount torque specification myself, and was never able to find it anywhere. What I did was tighten the body mount bolt until the lower half (not upper half) part of the body mount crushed down to the same diameter as the lower body mount washer (basically the same idea as single eye shock rubber bushing mounts), which brought the torque to roughly 65 - 70 foot-pounds.

Make damn sure you retighten your body mount bolts after only a short initial ride of about no more than 20 miles. I only went about 15 miles, and when I went to retighten the mounts they had lost about 20 to 30 foot-pounds of torque. I retighten them again at 100 miles, but they only needed a little retightening. The mounts are pretty well seated now.

3. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

Thanks! I will keep that all in mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif