Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body mount torque

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

just replaced my body mounts and hardware. can someone give me the proper torque for the mounts. thanks...

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Polyurethane mounts, according to my Energy Suspension instruction sheet, calls for 85 ft. lbs. of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i replaced them with stock rubber mounts - not sure if it would be the same... i have a chevy shop manual but it does not address the body mounts...

4. thatK30guy

Let's see what my GM service manual says.......

Well, after checking out some pages in the manual, it reads like this:

"During the installation of a body mount, caution should be used to insure that the body mount is properly seated in the frame mounting hole, otherwise a direct metal to metal contact will result between the frame and body. The tube spacer should be in all bolt-in body mounts and the insulator or metal washer positioned to prevent contact with the frame side rail. Do not over-torque the body mount or a stripped bolt may result.
    Do not use lubricants of any kind on the rubber parts of the mounts. Proper clamping by the mount depends on clean and dry surfaces. If the body mount bolt does not screw in smoothly , it maybe a necessary to run a tap through the cage nut in the body to insure that tap doesn't punch through underbody."

So, it sounds like tighten it to where the rubber does not collapse but firm enough to hold the body to the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yikes... 85lb/ft sounds kinda high! As I replied to McComas in a PM, using lock nuts, I torqued mine down until the polyurethane (or rubber) started to bulge just slightly (its possible it was as high as 85lb/ft since I didn't use a torque wrench). And the instructions with the kit (from ORD) didn't specify torque, but just said to torque to factory specs.

6. thatK30guy

When I did the polyurethane mounts, 85 ft. lbs. did not crush them much, if at all.

Rubber will be a lot softer and won't require that much torque. Hence the reason my service manual says to tighten until the rubber starts to crush. Can't be that much torque there for the rubber mounts.

7. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i ended up cranking them until i could see the rubber start to move down a bit. i'll keep my eye on them for a few weeks...