Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mount update w/? where can I get a new gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

After 4 hours I finely got the jack under the body, the front mount cap was fine but on the 2nd one the cap was rusted pretty bad. So I called LMC and added 6 caps to my order for the 6 bottom dougnut ones. I get to the back and cut the welds on the back 4 bolts pull the 2 on the drivers side and notice I cant get to the bushing under the frame without droping the tank. As I'm looking at the straps I notice a hole starting to rust in the tank /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So being one not to do a half-a$$ job I've decided to get a new tank and sending unit. Im also gona sandblast the underside by the tank.

I called LMC and added straps and the tank squeak kit.

Does anyone know where I can get a tank and sending unit for an 89 that is cheaper than LMC??

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Richard, You could clean your tank inside and out real good and reseal it with a plastic coating. I had mine boiled out at a radiator shop and sealed the inside with a kit from www.eastwoodcompany.com for $40.00 and I think it is probably better than a new tank without the sealer.

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I was thinking about that, but I've heard that the baffels in the 89 tanks rot and my sending unit dosent work so I figured I'd go all the way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I look online I'm finding some poly tanks, anyone use one of these? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I was inquiring about the sealer because I have a gas tank leak. The $40 kit covers 20 gallon tanks, so i would have to get more of that sealer costing me $80 + shipping. Does anybody have any idea how much a new tank costs, like for a 90' Suburban?

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Ken, I just looked up the cost of a 31 gallon tank from LMC and it is about $150 depending on the year. The same tank from GM would surely be more. I have a 31 gallon tank and I used two $40 kits. I had to really work at it to use all of the contents, I probably could have got by with one kit without trouble.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member