Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mounts Motor Mounts and Spring Bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Dec 3, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I think that I have the transmission rubbing against the body because the body mounts are shot. Is this possible? So I am going to have to get some body mount bushings. I had my tranny mounts replaced when I did my transmission. So I plan to do my Engine mounts so I know they were done at the same time. I just want some good rubber mounts. I will use the ER mounts for the body however. Do I just get these at NAPA or should I order them from someplace like Summit? I also will need to do the spring bushings later so I have them all done. Where should I get the ER and Spring bushings at? Should the spring bushings be poly or rubber? Thanks for all your advice.

SummitMXK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Fininsh filling out your info. What Year is your truck.
    Is it factory hight? Did you replace rear springs?

If you have after markent springs you have to mention that to the destributor. Energy Sus. busings fit only factory springs eye holes.
    As for trans hitting body I think that It would be motor mounts going bad. Do those first. Examine the bodymounts for wear.

Good luck. Again fill out your information, so that people know what they are helpping you with.

Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

3. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Your body mounts would have to be pretty bad for your transmission to be rubbing; there's a fairly big gap there.

As for the spring bushings, go for polyurethane. I got mine (Energy Suspension) from LMC Truck. While you're at it, replace the sway bar bushings too, they're pretty cheap (polyurethane).

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Everything is stock. Its a 1978 k5 all the specs are in my signature. I'm pretty sure that the all the mounts were original. I bought this truck from my DAD who was the original owner. I'm going to do both the motor and body mounts anyway. I will start with the motor mounts. I just need to know if I should get them from NAPA or someplace like Summit. Also is there an easy way to do the motor mounts that would help alot also. I will have to wait on the spring bushings but I will go poly on those also. Thanks for all you help guys!!

SummitXMK

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Summit,
    Get the spring bushings and grease-able bolts from ORD on this site. It will keep things moving (flex) good and make them last. They could probably get you what ever you need. As for the motor mounts, there are lots of trick ones out there. You can use a floor jack with a peice of wood (wide is better, 2x8) and lift it from the oil pan or use a engine hoist but you need to be careful of the distributor, cables and fan. Don't get crazy lifting. It only takes a little to remove the weight. If you use a hoist, it's tough to get it centered so it doesn't tilt the motor so I would sugest that you do one side at a time. Good luck, done any riding lately? We have 4+ ft. up top. <font color=blue>SRX 700 Mtn.........yeeeee haaaaa!

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

6. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys!! Strom Trooper we went on Sunday. We have about 50 - 60" of bottomless fluff!! We were breaking tail all day. When you stuck the sled she sent all the way to the bottom!! It was beautiful!! This looks like it might be a great year for snow, although its still a little early to tell!! Now I just have to get my tow rig ready!!